Resources for Learning CUDA and OpenCL for Heterogeneous Computing

• Thread starter Fusiontron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resources
In summary, the speaker has been offered a research position that requires knowledge of GPU computing and non-homogeneous clusters of CPUs. They recommend the book "GPU Computing Gems Emerald Edition" for dealing with a Fermi-Cluster architecture. For non-homogeneous clusters of CPUs, they mention OpenCL as a potential solution.
Fusiontron
I have been offered a research position which requires knowledge of these. Both are easily acquired and I should have everything running by tonight. What books or documents would anyone recommend on these?

Technology news on Phys.org
I have no idea what kind of an architecture you're dealing with...

If you're dealing with something like a Fermi-Cluster:

1) GPU Computing Gems Emerald Edition
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0123849888/?tag=pfamazon01-20

If you're dealing with a non-homogeneous cluster of CPU's; I don't have a good recommendation, I have read that OpenCL can handle this easily, but I've not actually worked with this kind of an application... I think that would merely require changing some of the initialization options in the code.

Related to Resources for Learning CUDA and OpenCL for Heterogeneous Computing

1. What is the difference between CUDA and OpenCL?

CUDA and OpenCL are both programming languages used for general-purpose computing on graphics processing units (GPUs). However, CUDA is proprietary to NVIDIA while OpenCL is an open standard that can be used with GPUs from different manufacturers.

2. Can CUDA and OpenCL be used together?

Yes, it is possible to use both CUDA and OpenCL in the same program. However, this requires additional programming and may not always result in improved performance.

3. What are the benefits of using CUDA or OpenCL?

CUDA and OpenCL allow for parallel programming on GPUs, which can greatly improve performance for certain types of tasks. They are commonly used in scientific and high-performance computing applications.

4. Do I need a special graphics card to use CUDA or OpenCL?

Yes, both CUDA and OpenCL require a compatible graphics card. For CUDA, only NVIDIA GPUs are supported. OpenCL can be used with GPUs from different manufacturers, but not all GPUs are compatible.

5. Are there any free resources available to learn CUDA and OpenCL?

Yes, there are many online tutorials, documentation, and forums available for learning CUDA and OpenCL. Some universities also offer courses or workshops on these programming languages.