1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cumulative distribution of binomial random variables

1. Aug 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The probability of being dealt a full house is approximately 0.0014. Find the probability that in 1000 hands of poker you will be dealt at least 2 full houses

2. Relevant equations
    I can use binomial distribution.

3. The attempt at a solution
    The probability of getting exactly two full houses would be (1000 choose 2) * (0.0014)^2 * (1 - 0.0014)^ 998

However, because this problem asks for probability of being dealt *at least* two hands, I have to add the probabilities (1000 choose k) * (0.0014)^k * (1 - 0.0014)^ (1000-k), where k is any integers [2, 1000]

Most problems in the textbook (Ross Probability) deal with situations where the possible values of k are only 4-6 integers and they can calculate it by hand, but I think I need to use summation for this problem. How do I do this kind of problems?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2012 #2
    Consider the Poisson distribution.

4. Aug 5, 2012 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sometimes when it is too difficult to compute a probability P{A} directly, we instead compute the probability P{B} of the complementary event, then use P{A} = 1 - P{B}.

RGV

5. Aug 6, 2012 #4
    Ah I haven't thought of it that way. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook