Current draw question for amplifier

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of an amplifier circuit in multisim and its power requirements. The question is whether a 25V 2A transformer would be suitable to power the circuit, and the answer is yes as the circuit only draws around 9mA of current. It is also mentioned that a 25V AC transformer would not directly give 25V DC, and a 18V transformer would be needed for this.
erer44
Hello,
I'm sure it will be easy for someone to answer. I have an amplifier circuit running in multisim and it's drawing around 9mA of current, 25VDC. Am I right in thinking that the circuit will only draw as much current as needed from the transformer, and a 25v 2A tranny would work to power the circuit? Just want to be 100% sure before I apply any power to the real thing.

Thank you,
Ed

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you just have a simple amplifier with resistor loads for transistors, the current will not vary much from the 9 mA.

If you are using an audio chip to drive a speaker, the current will vary depending on the audio drive level.
If the quiescent current (with no input audio voltage) is only 9 mA then the full output current is probably less than an amp, so a 2 amp power supply would be OK.

A 25 volts AC secondary transformer would not be used to generate 25 volts DC directly. If you rectified it and filtered it, the output would be about 35 volts.
You could use this to give an input for a 25 volt regulator.
To get 25 volts DC, you would need a transformer giving about 18 volts out.

No audio chip. Just the resistor loads for transistors.

Hadn't made it to the transformer voltage prior to rectification yet, thought that might be the case.

Thank you!

1. What is current draw for an amplifier?

The current draw for an amplifier refers to the amount of electrical current that is needed to power the amplifier. It is typically measured in amperes (A) or milliamperes (mA) and can vary depending on the type and size of the amplifier.

2. How do I calculate the current draw for my amplifier?

To calculate the current draw for your amplifier, you will need to know the power rating of the amplifier (in watts) and the voltage that it is operating at. You can then use the formula: Current Draw (A) = Power (W) / Voltage (V). Keep in mind that this is a general calculation and the actual current draw may vary depending on the specifics of your amplifier.

3. Why is current draw important for amplifiers?

Current draw is important for amplifiers because it determines the amount of power that is being used and the potential strain on the amplifier. If the current draw is too high, it can cause overheating and potentially damage the amplifier. It is also important to consider when choosing a power supply for your amplifier.

4. Can I reduce the current draw for my amplifier?

Yes, there are a few ways to reduce the current draw for your amplifier. One option is to use a more efficient power supply that can handle the power needs of your amplifier. Another option is to adjust the settings on your amplifier to optimize its performance and reduce the amount of power it needs.

5. Is there a maximum current draw for amplifiers?

Yes, each amplifier will have a maximum recommended current draw, which is typically listed in the manufacturer's specifications. It is important to not exceed this maximum current draw as it can cause damage to the amplifier and potentially create safety hazards. It is always best to follow the manufacturer's recommendations for proper usage and current draw for your amplifier.