Current flow in a two source circuit

In summary, the current flows in the circuit as follows: pink current doesn't flow in the right loop and green current doesn't flow in the left loop.
xJJx
Hi guys, is the current flow in this picture correct? I'm trying to understand current flow in a two source circuit.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_8713.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_8713.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 412
Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you post a better version of your picture? Take it without any shadows over the paper, and rotate and process it a bit to make it easy to read.

Here's a better picture

Attachments

• thumbnail_FullSizeRender.jpg
    thumbnail_FullSizeRender.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 461
Thanks. The circuit might be okay, but how are you setting the current of the left voltage source to 5A? What are the values of the resistances?

berkeman said:
Thanks. The circuit might be okay, but how are you setting the current of the left voltage source to 5A? What are the values of the resistances?
Hi, thanks for your reply :) The question doesn't tell me the resistance values, it just tells me everything stated on the picture. I thought current travels from positive terminals to negative, so I guessed the current flow directions to be like this ^. Is this correct?

xJJx said:
so I guessed the current flow directions to be like this ^. Is this correct?
Partly.

Pink current doesn't flow in the right loop and green current doesn't flow in the left loop.

Likes xJJx
cnh1995 said:
Partly.

Pink current doesn't flow in the right loop and green current doesn't flow in the left loop.
haha I read that in Sheldon's voice & please may you explain why?

xJJx said:
When you define loop current they should be confined to individual loops. This doesn't mean part of each current doesn't flow in the other loop but you can't solve for values without specific loop currents.

xJJx said:
You have 5A flowing from the battery (pink) and 6A through the middle resistor. So, the remaining 1A (green) must be supplied by the rightmost current source. Hence, both 5A and 1A are confined to their respective loops. They add up in the middle branch and again split at the bottom node such that the pink current flows back to the battery and the green current flows back to the current source.

Likes xJJx
cnh1995 said:
You have 5A flowing from the battery (pink) and 6A through the middle resistor. So, the remaining 1A (green) must be supplied by the rightmost current source. Hence, both 5A and 1A are confined to their respective loops. They add up in the middle branch and again split at the bottom node such that the pink current flows back to the battery and the green current flows back to the current source.
But even if the two currents are confined to their respective loops, that still doesn't mean part of them can't flow in the other loops. So I still don't understand why they don't split at the bottom junction.

xJJx said:
But even if the two currents are confined to their respective loops, that still doesn't mean part of them can't flow in the other loops.
Yes, that's exactly what I said in post #8

So I still don't understand why they don't split at the bottom junction.
You PRETEND that they are totally separate currents so that you can solve for them, Again, this is what I already explained in post #8. What is it about that that is not clear? How would YOU solve for values if you mix everything up the way you seem to want to? Do you understand how to solve current loops?

phinds said:

You PRETEND that they are totally separate currents so that you can solve for them, Again, this is what I already explained in post #8. What is it about that that is not clear? How would YOU solve for values if you mix everything up the way you seem to want to? Do you understand how to solve current loops?
No, I haven't learned how to solve current loops. I haven't started university yet, I'm trying to learn this stuff before uni starts. I know how current flows in a single-source circuit, but not in a two-source circuit.

phinds said:

Is the 'currents confined to their respective loops' thing just an assumption we make for determining the loop currents in the circuit? do we ALWAYS make this assumption for two-source circuits, even when we're not trying to determine loop currents?

xJJx said:
Is the 'currents confined to their respective loops' thing just an assumption we make for determining the loop currents in the circuit? do we ALWAYS make this assumption for two-source circuits, even when we're not trying to determine loop currents?
The number of sources is irrelevant and the number of loops is irrelevant. You draw a single current around each loop, write the resulting equations, and solve. Elements that are common to two loops have a current which is the sum/difference of the two loop currents. Assumed direction of the loop currents is irrelevant. If you've made the "wrong" assumption you just get a negative answer.

1. What is a two source circuit?

A two source circuit is a type of electrical circuit that has two power sources, which can be either voltage sources or current sources. These sources can be connected in series or in parallel, and the resulting circuit will have different properties depending on the connection type.

2. How does current flow in a two source circuit?

In a two source circuit, the current flows from the positive terminal of one source to the negative terminal of the other source. The direction of current flow is determined by the polarity of the sources and the connection type (series or parallel).

3. What is the difference between series and parallel connection in a two source circuit?

In a series connection, the two sources are connected one after the other, so the current flows through both sources. In a parallel connection, the two sources are connected side by side, so the current can flow through either source or both simultaneously.

4. How does the total current in a two source circuit compare to the individual source currents?

In a series connection, the total current is equal to the sum of the individual source currents. In a parallel connection, the total current is equal to the sum of the individual source currents only if the sources have the same voltage or current output. Otherwise, the total current is determined by the equivalent resistance of the circuit.

5. What is the role of resistors in a two source circuit?

Resistors are components that limit the flow of current in a circuit. In a two source circuit, resistors can be used to control the current from each source and adjust the overall behavior of the circuit. They can also be used to balance the current in a parallel connection and prevent one source from overpowering the other.