Solve Current Formula: I=nqAv | HELP

• Thread starter Yapper
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Current
In summary, the conversation discusses the formula for current, I, and the variables involved, including A for area, nq for the number of free electrons per unit volume, and v for the speed of electrons. The conversation also touches on the calculation of n and the role of lattice ions and conduction electrons in determining the number of free electrons. The conversation concludes with a clarification on the meaning of v as the drift velocity of electrons due to thermal energy.
Yapper
Current = I = nqAv, HELP

I found this formula for current, I, know A is area, but I don't know what nq and v are... Can anyone help me?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
v=speed of electron
n= number of FREE electron per unit volume
q= charge of electron
A= cross section area

Last edited:
oohhhhh ok, q is a constant, makes sense... Thanks alot. V varies with the material its flowing through? And how do u calculate n??

Last edited:
Yapper said:
oohhhhh ok, q is a constant, makes sense... Thanks alot. V varies with the material its flowing through? And how do u calculate n??

You can try to find out the density of lattice ions, and multiply this by the number of conduction electrons they supply. In case of a solid you could look up the lattice spacing and how many atoms are in it. Or you could use the mass density and their molar masses.

what grade r u in? this should be easy if you have taken some very basic chemistry course...look up the density of the meterial, also the mass of atom...you can easily find out the number of atom per unit volume from the information above... then multiply by the number of free electron per atom...

ok, thanks for the help. I had forgotten what was meant by free. But i got it now, thanks

v is the drift velocity of the electron.i.e the velocity acquired by the electron due to thermal energy.

FAQ: Solve Current Formula: I=nqAv | HELP

1. What is the current formula?

The current formula is I = nqAv, where I represents the current, n represents the number of charge carriers, q represents the charge of each carrier, A represents the cross-sectional area, and v represents the velocity of the charge carriers.

2. How do I solve for current using this formula?

To solve for current, you need to plug in the values for n, q, A, and v into the formula I = nqAv and perform the necessary mathematical operations to find the value of current.

3. What is the significance of each variable in this formula?

The variables in this formula have specific meanings and units. I represents the current, which is measured in amperes (A). n represents the number of charge carriers, which is measured in particles per unit volume. q represents the charge of each carrier, which is measured in coulombs (C). A represents the cross-sectional area, which is measured in square meters (m^2). v represents the velocity of the charge carriers, which is measured in meters per second (m/s).

4. Are there any assumptions made in this formula?

Yes, this formula assumes that the current is constant and that the charge carriers are moving at a constant velocity. It also assumes that the charge carriers are evenly distributed throughout the cross-sectional area.

5. Can this formula be used for all types of currents?

This formula is commonly used for steady or direct currents, but it can also be used for alternating currents as long as the assumptions of constant current and velocity hold true. It may not be suitable for more complex or time-varying currents.