Current Mirror Load on Diff Amp

In summary, the purpose of the current mirror on top of a differential transistor pair is to convert the differential current input signal to a single ended voltage signal without experiencing the intrinsic 50% losses. This is achieved by using a current mirror, which reflects the current from one side to the other and provides a high resistance collector load to increase the gain of the differential pair.
smk037
I'm unsure what the purpose of this is. I have looked it up but can only find some explanations stating "role is to convert the differential current input signal to a single ended voltage signal without the intrinsic 50% losses and to increase extremely the gain."

I'm not sure what double ended to single ended voltage signal means, or what the initial intrinsic losses are.

Could someone clear this up for me?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you referring to the current mirror on top of a differential transistor pair. eg. If you have two NPN to form a differential pair, you have a pair of PNP on top, one PNP has base connected to the collector and the other PNP has the base connect to the base-collector junction that form the current mirror?

If so, the reason is the gain of the differential NPN pair is determined by the collector load. The gain would be [itex] \frac{R_c}{2r'_e}\;\hbox { where }\;r'_e \;\hbox { is the emitter resistance at the given tail current of the transistors where }\; r'_e=\frac 1 {gm}= \frac {V_T}{I_c}≈\frac {25mV}{I_c}.[/itex]

To increase gain, [itex]R_c\;[/itex] has to be as high as possible. The collector resistance of a current mirror has the highest resistance so it give the highest gain. Also a current mirror as the name, reflect the current from one side to the other, that is the reason you don't loss half the gain if you just take one side of the differential amp and drive the next stage.

1. What is a current mirror load on a differential amplifier?

A current mirror load on a differential amplifier is a circuit that uses a transistor or other device to replicate the current flowing through another transistor or device. This is commonly used in differential amplifiers to provide a constant current source for the differential input stage.

2. Why is a current mirror load used in a differential amplifier?

A current mirror load is used in a differential amplifier to improve the linearity and stability of the circuit. It helps to provide a consistent and accurate current source, which is essential for proper amplification and signal processing.

3. How does a current mirror load affect the performance of a differential amplifier?

A current mirror load can improve the performance of a differential amplifier by providing a constant current source for the input stage. This helps to reduce distortion and improve the accuracy of the amplified signal.

4. What are the different types of current mirror loads used in differential amplifiers?

The two most common types of current mirror loads used in differential amplifiers are the active load and the passive load. The active load uses a transistor or other active device to replicate the current, while the passive load uses resistors to achieve the same effect.

5. How do I choose the appropriate current mirror load for my differential amplifier?

The type of current mirror load you choose will depend on your specific circuit requirements. The active load is typically better for high-performance applications, while the passive load may be more suitable for simpler circuits. It is important to consider factors such as cost, power consumption, and desired performance when selecting a current mirror load for your differential amplifier.