Currents and charge between spheres

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the charge on two small conductive spheres, one charged and the other neutral, connected by a wire with resistance R. The relevant equations are given, and the attempt at a solution involves treating the spheres as capacitors and considering the movement of charges between them until they both reach the same charge. The use of capacitance is suggested, but there is uncertainty about where to calculate the relevant electric field.
omri3012

Homework Statement

Consider two small conductive spheres in radius a and b located far from each other.
In t=0 "a" sphere charged with Q and "b" sphere neutral. We connect the spheres by wire with resistance R.
Find the charge on each sphere as a function of time.

Homework Equations

d[tex]\rho[/tex]/dt+divJ=0

I=dQ/dt

J=[tex]\sigma[/tex]E

R=[tex]\rho[/tex]*(L/A)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm assumed that the change in charge in one sphere is the same in the other sphere with opposite sign. I tried to understand what is the relevant electric field and where should I calculate it (outside the sphere? Inside the wire?). I think that capacitance
Required here but the two spheres connected so it more like capacitor discharge… I'm lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is the same thing as connecting two capacitors to each other. So treat sphere 1 with capacitance C1, and the other with capacitance C2. And the charges will move from 1 to 2 until both capacitors have equal charge.

What is the difference between electric current and charge?

Electric current refers to the flow of electric charge, while charge refers to the property of matter that causes it to experience a force in an electric field.

How are electric currents and charges related to spheres?

In the context of spheres, electric current can refer to the flow of charge between two spheres, while charge refers to the amount of electric charge stored on a sphere.

What factors affect the flow of current between spheres?

The flow of current between spheres is affected by the distance between the spheres, the amount of charge on each sphere, and the medium between the spheres.

How is the direction of current flow determined in a sphere system?

The direction of current flow between spheres is determined by the potential difference between the spheres. Current will flow from the higher potential sphere to the lower potential sphere.

What are some real-world applications of studying currents and charges between spheres?

Some real-world applications include electrostatic painting, electrostatic precipitators in air pollution control, and Van de Graaff generators used in scientific experiments and demonstrations.