Exploring Curry's Paradox: Does Flying Spaghetti Monster Exist?

In summary: Statements like "If this statement is true, then P" are just a part of the grammar of language, and can't be eliminated without changing the way the language works.
lolgarithms
Curry's paradox can be used to (dis)prove the riemann hypothesis and string theory, and even prove the (non)existence of God... no, actually, Curry's paradox IS God. :biggrin:

Just kidding... I am now (speaking somewhat hyperbolically) freaked out. Does Curry's paradox go like this (try "1 = 0" or anything you like for P): I don't think you need the whole contraction (A->(A->B) = A->B) thing for this paradox to appear. Contraction is just substituted by properties of OR, and I use the definition of the material conditional.

1. Let S := "If (material conditional) S is true, then P" = "S -> P"
2. Which also means: "P, or S is false" = "P or not-S"
3. S implies itself: S -> S
4. substitute: "If S is true, then (P, or S is false)" = S -> (P or not-S)
5. the material conditional means: (P or not-S) or not-S
6. OR (logical disjunction) is associative: P or (not-S or not-S)
7. x OR x = x: P or not-S

8. Hey, that's... S. Both the conditional and the condition (S is true) are now proven.
9. Therefore, P.

[tex]\mathcal{Q.E.D.}[/tex]
" *evil laugh* now all your common sense is (not) destroyed... muhahahaha... "

Contraction? Some logics explicitly allow it. but I think it only depends on the definition of material conditional, associativity and idempotence (X or X = X) of OR, and S->S, which are more fundamental in ways.

P.S. Simpler presentation for laymen:
consider the sentence: "If this sentence is true, then the Flying Spaghetti Monster exists"

Alright. suppose the sentence is true. then:
*If the sentence is true, then the Flying Spaghetti Monster exists.
*the sentence is true.
*Therefore, the Flying Spaghetti Monster exists.
So if the sentence is true, then the Flying Spaghetti Monster exists.

But that's what the sentence says, so the sentence is true.
Therefore, the Flying Spaghetti Monster exists.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

I don't really see the problem. In statement 1 you have S. In statement 2 you have S. In statement 7 you derive S. You have derived S from S. How does that imply P?

CompuChip said:
I don't really see the problem. In statement 1 you have S. In statement 2 you have S. In statement 7 you derive S. You have derived S from S. How does that imply P?

I didn't *assert* S in 1 and 2. I simply *defined* S to be P or not-S, not assert its truth.
Then I substituted P or not S for S in "S or not-S", which is a true statement in classical logic: (P or not-S) or not-S). But then OR is associative, and idempotent: (P or not-S) or not-S = P or (not-S or not-S) = P or not-S. But that's what S says. We have both the premise and the conditional, so by modus ponens we have derived P.

Last edited:

Ah I see it now. Basically, it's saying that certain self-referential statements cannot be assigned a truth value without making any arbitrary statement tautological.

CompuChip said:
... certain self-referential statements cannot be assigned a truth value ...

But the proof of Curry's paradox tells you that you don't HAVE to assign any truth value to statements like "If this statement is true, then P" to begin with - the mere existence of such statements automatically proves them in the logic we normally use. So is there a way to somehow make them nonexistent or "grammatically incorrect"?

Last edited:

lolgarithms said:
So is there a way to somehow make them nonexistent or "grammatically incorrect"?
In formal logic, they are non-existent, because in e.g. propositional calculus you can't construct self-referential statements.

In natural language, I don't think you can do anything about it.

1. What is Curry's Paradox and how does it relate to the Flying Spaghetti Monster?

Curry's Paradox is a logical paradox that was first proposed by mathematician and logician Haskell Curry in the 1950s. It involves a statement that is both true and unprovable, which goes against the fundamental principles of logic. The Flying Spaghetti Monster, a parody deity created by Bobby Henderson, is often used as an example to illustrate this paradox.

2. Is Curry's Paradox a valid argument for the existence of the Flying Spaghetti Monster?

No, Curry's Paradox is not a valid argument for the existence of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. The paradox itself does not provide any evidence or proof for the existence of the deity. It simply highlights the limitations and inconsistencies of our logical systems.

3. How do scientists and philosophers view the existence of the Flying Spaghetti Monster?

Most scientists and philosophers do not consider the Flying Spaghetti Monster to be a valid or serious concept. It is often seen as a satirical response to the teaching of intelligent design in schools, and is not considered a legitimate belief system or deity.

4. Can the existence of the Flying Spaghetti Monster be scientifically proven or disproven?

No, the existence of the Flying Spaghetti Monster cannot be scientifically proven or disproven. As a parody deity, it is not a testable or falsifiable concept. It exists solely as a satirical response to certain religious beliefs and has no real-world implications.

5. Are there any potential implications of the Flying Spaghetti Monster's existence?

No, there are no real-world implications of the Flying Spaghetti Monster's existence. It is not a legitimate belief system or deity, and therefore has no impact on scientific or philosophical discussions. However, it does serve as an interesting thought experiment and can be used to highlight logical paradoxes such as Curry's Paradox.