Finding Curvature of Helix Given Parametric Equation

In summary, the parametric equation for a helix is given by x = r cos(t), y = r sin(t), and z = at, where r is the radius and a is the pitch. The curvature of a helix can be found using the formula k = |(x'y'' - x''y')/(x'^2 + y'^2)^(3/2)|, which can be simplified to k = |a|/[(r^2+a^2)^(3/2)]. The curvature of a helix cannot be negative and can be visualized by drawing a circle that touches the helix at a specific point. The radius and pitch of a helix both affect its curvature, with a larger
LRP0790

Homework Statement

Find the curvature of a helix given by the parametric equation r(t)=<acost, asint, bt> where a and b are real numbers

Homework Equations

I know k=|T'(t)/r'(t)|

The Attempt at a Solution

and I believe the answer to be k=b/(a2+b2)1/2, I just don't know how to get there

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know, but your answer disagrees with the simple case where b=0.

1. What is the parametric equation for a helix?

The parametric equation for a helix is given by:
x = r cos(t)
y = r sin(t)
z = at, where r is the radius of the helix and a is the pitch or steepness of the helix.

2. How do you find the curvature of a helix using its parametric equation?

The curvature of a helix can be found using the formula:
k = |(x'y'' - x''y')/(x'^2 + y'^2)^(3/2)|, where x' = dx/dt and y' = dy/dt. This formula can be simplified to:
k = |a|/[(r^2+a^2)^(3/2)].

3. Can the curvature of a helix be negative?

No, the curvature of a helix cannot be negative. The curvature represents the rate of change of the helix's direction at a given point, and since a helix always curves in the same direction, the curvature will always be positive.

4. Is there a way to visualize the curvature of a helix?

Yes, the curvature of a helix can be visualized by plotting the helix in 3D space and then drawing a circle that touches the helix at a specific point. The radius of this circle represents the curvature of the helix at that point.

5. How does the radius and pitch of a helix affect its curvature?

The radius and pitch of a helix both affect its curvature. A larger radius or smaller pitch will result in a smaller curvature, while a smaller radius or larger pitch will result in a larger curvature. This is because the radius and pitch determine the steepness of the helix, which in turn affects how quickly the direction of the helix changes.