What is the Curvature of a Line in Calc III?

In summary, the conversation is about the struggle with understanding the concept of curvature in Calculus III. The formula for curvature is given as κ(s) = dT/ds, where T is the unit tangent vector and s is the arc length. The professor used the chain rule to get the formula [dT/dt * 1/r'(t)]. The notes also mention k = I a cross V I / I V I3, which may be related to acceleration and velocity. A helpful resource for understanding these concepts is the Frenet-Serret formulas and a related video.
DameLight
Hi,

I am taking Calc III, but I am having a hard time understanding some of the concepts. Right now I am struggling with understanding the curvature of a line. What I have in my notes is this:

Curvature
second derivative (rate of change of tangent line)(rate of change w/ respect to arc length)
r = a smooth parameterized curve, s = arc length and T = the unit tangent vector = r'/Ir'I
curvature is κ(s) = dT/ds

then the professor got us from dT/ds to [dT/dt * 1/r'(t)] using the chain rule
so κ(s) = [dT/dt * 1/r'(t)]

Then the next class my notes have something regarding k = I a cross V I / I V I3
I am assuming that this was in regards to acceleration and velocity

I understand that curvature is the rate of change of the tangent line, but I don't know how I would approach a problem with this information if it gave me r'(t) and asked for k(t)

Thank you for your time : )

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the definition of curvature of a line?

Curvature of a line is a measure of how much a curve deviates from a straight line. It is defined as the rate of change of the tangent angle with respect to the arc length of the curve.

2. How is the curvature of a line calculated?

The curvature of a line can be calculated using the formula K = |dT/ds|, where dT/ds is the derivative of the unit tangent vector with respect to the arc length of the curve.

3. What does the curvature of a line tell us?

The curvature of a line tells us how much the curve is bending at a particular point. A high curvature indicates a sharp bend, while a low curvature indicates a more gradual bend.

4. Can the curvature of a line be negative?

Yes, the curvature of a line can be negative. A negative curvature indicates that the curve is bending in the opposite direction of the positive curvature.

5. How is the curvature of a line used in real-world applications?

The curvature of a line is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics. It is used to analyze the behavior of curved objects, design smooth and efficient curves, and simulate natural movements in animations and simulations.