1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Curvilinear Motion with nonconstant acceleration

1. Jul 11, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Please refer to both figures. One has a picture and the other is the actual problem. Ignore the pencil writing on the figure as it was for a separate problem.

2. Relevant equations
    aB+aA/B=aA
    vB+vA/B=vA
    an=v2r

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am actually really at a lost at the moment. know both the tangential and normal acceleration of point B. I also obviously know the velocity at point B. I'm not sure what to do with the acceleration that is given. If I could get a voltage from that then I feel like I could possibly solve this problem.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2016 #2

jambaugh

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You know the acceleration of B? Then as the problem gives you the relative acceleration A relative to B you at B's acceler to get A's gross acceleration. Knowing this and knowing the normal component must correspond to A's centripetal acceleration you can solve for the angular velocity. Likewise taking the tangential component that will give you the change in speed since it's acceleration in the direction of motion.

4. Jul 13, 2016 #3
    thank you. I solved it!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted