Curvilinear Motion with nonconstant acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two figures and equations related to acceleration and velocity. The problem involves finding the angular velocity and change in speed using given information about acceleration. The conversation ends with the speaker stating that they were able to solve the problem.
Auburn2017

Homework Statement

Please refer to both figures. One has a picture and the other is the actual problem. Ignore the pencil writing on the figure as it was for a separate problem.

Homework Equations

aB+aA/B=aA
vB+vA/B=vA
an=v2r

The Attempt at a Solution

I am actually really at a lost at the moment. know both the tangential and normal acceleration of point B. I also obviously know the velocity at point B. I'm not sure what to do with the acceleration that is given. If I could get a voltage from that then I feel like I could possibly solve this problem.

Attachments

• delete me 2.jpg
    delete me 2.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 383
  • delete me3.jpg
    delete me3.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 384
Physics news on Phys.org
You know the acceleration of B? Then as the problem gives you the relative acceleration A relative to B you at B's acceler to get A's gross acceleration. Knowing this and knowing the normal component must correspond to A's centripetal acceleration you can solve for the angular velocity. Likewise taking the tangential component that will give you the change in speed since it's acceleration in the direction of motion.

Likes Auburn2017
jambaugh said:
You know the acceleration of B? Then as the problem gives you the relative acceleration A relative to B you at B's acceler to get A's gross acceleration. Knowing this and knowing the normal component must correspond to A's centripetal acceleration you can solve for the angular velocity. Likewise taking the tangential component that will give you the change in speed since it's acceleration in the direction of motion.
thank you. I solved it!

1. What is curvilinear motion with nonconstant acceleration?

Curvilinear motion with nonconstant acceleration is when an object moves along a curved path and its acceleration changes over time. This means that the object is both changing its speed and its direction of motion.

2. How is curvilinear motion with nonconstant acceleration different from uniform circular motion?

In uniform circular motion, the speed of the object remains constant, while the direction of motion changes. In curvilinear motion with nonconstant acceleration, both the speed and direction of motion are changing.

3. What causes an object to experience curvilinear motion with nonconstant acceleration?

An object can experience curvilinear motion with nonconstant acceleration due to forces acting upon it, such as friction, gravity, or applied forces. These forces can cause the object to change its speed and direction of motion.

4. How is acceleration calculated in curvilinear motion with nonconstant acceleration?

In curvilinear motion with nonconstant acceleration, the acceleration is calculated by taking the derivative of the velocity vector with respect to time. This can be represented using vector calculus or by breaking it down into components in the x and y directions.

5. What are some real-life examples of curvilinear motion with nonconstant acceleration?

Some real-life examples of curvilinear motion with nonconstant acceleration include a car driving along a curved road, a roller coaster moving along its track, or a projectile launched at an angle. In all of these examples, the acceleration is changing due to forces acting upon the object.