Designing a Log Cutting Mechanism - Get Suggestions Here

In summary, the individual designed a log cutting mechanism that has several defects, including the difficulty of use and the lack of a locking system. They are looking for suggestions on how to improve the mechanism without changing its overall design. The conversation also discussed the purpose and practicality of the mechanism, and suggested using a hand saw or a chainsaw instead. Finally, the individual decided to cancel the design and thanked the others for their suggestions.
andrewtirtawijaya
Good afternoon guys,
I want to discuss with you guys a few things...
So i already design a log cutting mechanism as you can see in the picture below. But there is so much defect on my mechanism..
The biggest thing that stressed me out, its still uneasy to use because after cut the log, the user must lift the blade, move the log, and put down the blade, and start cutting again. Do you guys have a splendid suggestion about how to make it ease without changing the big idea of this tools? And how about locking system that prevent the blade to go down when we don't want to cut the log/ finish cut the log.
Thanks a lot guysss for your suggestion.

Attachments

• mechanism.jpg
    mechanism.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 496
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
What does your illustration represent?

From top to bottom, there's a T-handle on a round, unthreaded rod going to a square block. This block is about halfway between the top of the machine frame to the bottom. What does this do?

Three brown dowels (logs?) appear to be held by rectangular plate (with three matching half-circles on the bottom edge) at the bottom of the frame. Is this a hold-down plate, or is it supposed to be the blade?

andrewtirtawijaya said:
Good afternoon guys,
I want to discuss with you guys a few things...
So i already design a log cutting mechanism as you can see in the picture below. But there is so much defect on my mechanism..
The biggest thing that stressed me out, its still uneasy to use because after cut the log, the user must lift the blade, move the log, and put down the blade, and start cutting again. Do you guys have a splendid suggestion about how to make it ease without changing the big idea of this tools? And how about locking system that prevent the blade to go down when we don't want to cut the log/ finish cut the log.
Thanks a lot guysss for your suggestion.
That does not look like a practical design at all to me. Is this for a schoolwork ME design project or something?

And if for real-world use, why not just use a hand saw or a chainsaw? They both work pretty well...

Last edited:
If you have to make that, you could drill a hole in the blade and secure it to handle. Set screw/spring pin in the top bar to keep blade/handle up when not in use.

Asymptotic said:
What does your illustration represent?

From top to bottom, there's a T-handle on a round, unthreaded rod going to a square block. This block is about halfway between the top of the machine frame to the bottom. What does this do?

Three brown dowels (logs?) appear to be held by rectangular plate (with three matching half-circles on the bottom edge) at the bottom of the frame. Is this a hold-down plate, or is it supposed to be the blade?

well, i think my design isn't practical at all so i just going to cancel it. Thanks for your responds ^^

berkeman said:
That does not look like a practical design at all to me. Is this for a schoolwork ME design project or something?

And if for real-world use, why not just use a hand saw or a chainsaw? They both work pretty well...

This is a project to make the use of axe easier. well, i think my design isn't practical at all so i just going to cancel it. Thanks for your responds ^^

Likes berkeman
yangshi said:
If you have to make that, you could drill a hole in the blade and secure it to handle. Set screw/spring pin in the top bar to keep blade/handle up when not in use.

well thanks a lot for your suggestion, i will keep it in my mind

Cutting logs across the grain with a blade is very hard, however it's much easier along the grain. Something similar to your idea is already used for this. Google hydraulic log splitters.

1. What are the essential factors to consider when designing a log cutting mechanism?

When designing a log cutting mechanism, it is important to consider the type of wood being cut, the desired size and shape of the logs, the power source, safety features, and ease of maintenance.

2. What are some common types of log cutting mechanisms?

Some common types of log cutting mechanisms include circular saws, chainsaws, hydraulic log splitters, and mechanical log splitters.

3. How can I increase the efficiency of a log cutting mechanism?

To increase efficiency, you can optimize the blade or cutting edge, ensure proper maintenance of the machine, and use techniques such as pre-cutting logs to a specific size or using multiple cutting blades simultaneously.

4. How do I ensure the safety of using a log cutting mechanism?

To ensure safety, always wear appropriate protective gear, follow the manufacturer's instructions, keep the machine well-maintained, and be aware of the potential hazards and risks associated with using a log cutting mechanism.

5. Are there any eco-friendly options for log cutting mechanisms?

Yes, there are eco-friendly options available such as electric log splitters, which produce less noise and emissions compared to gas-powered machines. Additionally, using sustainably sourced wood and proper disposal of wood waste can also be considered eco-friendly practices.