How to calculate the force to cut a log?

Main Question or Discussion Point

Good morning guys,

So i want to make mechanism to cut log with diameter 5 cm and 120 cm length. So how i can calculate the force to cut this log perpendicular and paralel. What is tbe formula i can use? And how i can determine the saw thickness and rpm needed to cut this log? Thanks guys for your concern. It will be usefull for me

Thanks ^^

Answers and Replies

My own experience as a wood worker suggests that a lot depends on how fast you want to cut that log. If you are willing to take it slow and easy, low power may be sufficient. If you are in a hurry, plan on lots more power. It also depends a lot on what kind of wood you are cutting. Soft woods cut more easily that dry, rock hard maple or oak.

@anorlunda Thanks dude, it helps me a lot.

My own experience as a wood worker suggests that a lot depends on how fast you want to cut that log. If you are willing to take it slow and easy, low power may be sufficient. If you are in a hurry, plan on lots more power. It also depends a lot on what kind of wood you are cutting. Soft woods cut more easily that dry, rock hard maple or oak.
Well I'll try to ask for more specification to my supervisor. But is there any formula that i can use to calculate it?