Garage Door Project: Check Design & Get Suggestions

• Thread starter Nish6242
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Project
In summary: A simple system with ropes and weights would be feasible for a low budget project.In summary, the conversation discusses a low budget project to create a simple garage door using thin iron sheets. The design involves vertical guides and rollers to allow the door to move, but concerns are raised about the difficulty of opening and closing the door without much effort. Alternative suggestions for a horizontal sliding or sectional sliding door are proposed, along with the need for a counter-weight system. It is noted that the current design will not work and alternative methods, such as canopy and retractable garage doors, are recommended.
Nish6242
Hello Guys,

I wish to make a very simple garage door which when opened and closed is like in the attached image.

In the attached image the black lines are the guides in which the 'rollers' (small red circles in the image) will roll to allow the door to move.
Note: The door (straight red line in image) itself will be made of thin iron sheets,thus will be relatively light and the door guides are planned to be ending perpendicular to each other.

My question here is,

Is this design suitable ?
Will it be easy to open and close this door without much effort required to lift it or pull it back down ?

Any better suggestions ?

P.S. This is a low budget project, thus no motorisation.

Attachments

• garage door.png
    garage door.png
    3 KB · Views: 852
Engineering news on Phys.org
Is this design suitable ?
define "suitable".

Will it be easy to open and close this door without much effort required to lift it or pull it back down ?
Nope.
In the initial and final parts of the motion it will be quite hard, and for a lot of the motion you'll need to have your arms above your head.
You will want to add some sort of pulley and counter-balance system.

Any better suggestions ?
What's wrong with the commercial tilting doors?

Simon Bridge said:
define "suitable".

By suitable I meant feasible actually.

Simon Bridge said:
What's wrong with the commercial tilting doors?
These are not easily available in my country, and even if available these cost a lot.

And as far as the initials efforts required to lift the door , Will this be diminished if I angle the vertical guide(say about 125 degrees) instead of having it perpendicularly ?

And hey, thanks a lot for your reply Simon.

Define "feasible" then.
The structure can be built.
It can be made to operate as a door allowing a car in and out.
Are there other restrictions?

I mean: what is wrong with using the mechanism that commercial tilting doors use?
You may want to build it yourself - there are plenty of diagrams online.

Sorry for not having elaborated on these before mate.
There is no such restrictions.

Its just that I already have the items I mentioned at home and do not want to buy anything more,
That is, I got the guide rails , the 4 rollers (small wheels), 2 handle to hold to lift the door lying around.
Frame of the door etc is not a concern for now.

Its only the working (i.e actual lifting of the door that was my concern).
Thus,defining feasible , I meant 'can this be working with the items I mentioned above only' (and wanted to get the mechanism standing in about half day).

I now have a little idea over these. Thanks again.

OK - the design has to use only materials already listed.
Your main concern is how difficult it would be to move the door.

Under those restrictions, the easiest door to move, in the space, would be a horizontally sliding door.
You can use the same track approach only horizontally, maybe in two directions (can you cut the tracks?)
Or you can have bendy tracks and make a sectional sliding door.
Don't know what kid of wheels you have though.

Your design is likely to need a counter-weight if you can spare some heavy scrap metal and a rope.

defining feasible , I meant 'can this be working...
... you have not defined "working" either.
For future reference: you need to describe what the door has to do in order to be considered a success.
It will not always be obvious to an engineer you consult - you have the idea in your head of what you want to do, I don't.
i.e If you need to be able to open it by yourself without risking injury - that may be difficult to achieve, but if all you need is for it to be able to open and close - then fine.

No, your system won't work. When you will try to lift the door, the top tracks will tend to block your lifting motion. You need some kind of rotation via hinge arms. Here are the two proven methods of lifting a single panel door (which require half the wheels and tracks of your design):

Canopy garage door (video):

9-Canopy-Mechanism-large.jpg
  • Quick and easy to fit
  • No horizontal tracks hanging from the ceiling
  • Anti-drop device in case of a cable or spring breaking
  • Can be fitted to a timber frame
  • Can come pre-fitted to a steel frame
  • Not ideal for automation
Retractable garage door (video):

10-Retractable-Mechanism-large.jpg
  • Multiple spring safety system
  • Robust mechanism withstands heavy use
  • Has horizontal tracks hung from garage ceiling
  • Ideal for automation
  • Can be fitted to a timber frame
  • Can come pre-fitted to a steel frame
(source: http://www.discount-henderson-garage-doors.co.uk/steel.php)

You will also need springs or counterweights to be able to lift the doors.

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a design for my garage door project?

When choosing a design for your garage door project, you should consider the overall style of your home, the materials and colors used on the exterior of your home, and the functionality and durability of the garage door. You may also want to take into account any local building codes or homeowner's association regulations.

2. Are there any specific design trends or styles that are popular for garage doors?

Some popular design trends for garage doors include the use of wood or faux wood materials, modern and minimalist designs, and incorporating windows or decorative hardware. Ultimately, the design should complement the overall aesthetic of your home.

3. Can I customize the design of my garage door?

Yes, many garage door companies offer customizable options for design, such as choosing specific materials, colors, and hardware. Some companies even offer the ability to upload a custom design or image to be printed on the garage door.

4. How can I ensure that the design of my garage door is functional as well as aesthetically pleasing?

To ensure functionality, consider the size and weight of the garage door, as well as the type of opening mechanism. Make sure the design allows for easy and safe operation of the door. You may also want to consider insulating the door for energy efficiency.

5. Can I get suggestions or inspiration for my garage door design?

Yes, many garage door companies have design galleries on their websites where you can browse different styles and options. You can also consult with a professional designer or architect for ideas and suggestions tailored to your specific project.