Calculating Oil Level Increase in a Filled Cylinder Tank - Formula and Solution

• Thread starter Mattara
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oil
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a tank with oil in the shape of a straight circular cylinder. The tank is lying on its side and being filled at a rate of 0.0045 m3 per second. The question is asking for the rate at which the oil level rises when the depth is 0.32 m. The individual provides a solution using trigonometry and Pythagoras' theorem to calculate the surface area of the oil and ultimately finds that the rate of increase in the oil level is 1.7 millimeters per second.
Mattara

Homework Statement

A tank with oil has the shape of a straight circular cylinder. Its diameter is 1.24 m and its height is 2.44 m. The tank lies on one side so that the circular base surfaces is at a right angle to the horizontal plane. It is filled with 0.0045 m3 per second. How fast does the level of oil in the tank rise if the depth in that particular moment is 0.32 m?

The Attempt at a Solution

http://www.filehive.com/files/0127/container.png http://www.filehive.com/files/0127/sideways.png

Since the volume increase is already given, along with the value for d, the only thing I need to do to compute the area of surface of the oil is to find the base of the triangle in the second image and then find the increase in the oil level.

The base of the triangle is:

[tex]2r~sin 0.5 \theta[/tex]

The initial surface area of the oil is:

[tex]2.44 \cdot 2r~sin 0.5 \theta[/tex]

or

[tex]A~(r,~ \theta)~ =~ 4.88r~sin 0.5\theta~~~(1)[/tex]

To find the height of the triangle [itex]\beta[/itex]:

[tex]\beta~=~r~-~d~ =~ 0.62~-~ 0.32~ =~ 0.305[/tex]

This in turn mean that we can find [itex]0.5\theta[/itex] by

[tex]0.5\theta~ =~ cos^{-1} \frac {0.305}{0.62}[/tex]

After substituting the value for [itex]0.5\theta[/itex] into (1), I get

[tex]A~(r)~ =~ 4.88r~sin cos^{-1} \frac {0.305}{0.62}[/tex]

By using the above equation, I find A(0.62) to be approx. 2.634...

And finally, computing the increase in level of oil by

[tex]\frac {0.0045}{A(0.62)}[/tex]

With the result being 1.7 millimeter. This seems to be a quit reasonable answer to the problem, taking into account that the amount of oil that is filling the container every second.

Does this sound like a reasonable answer? Did I make any logical or computational errors? Thank you for your time, have a nice day.

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer is correct, but I would suggest a few alterations.

You've defined an area function A (r,theta). But since r is a constant for this problem, you should simply define A as a function of one variable (theta).

I would prefer a neater approach starting with [tex]\frac{dV}{dt} = \frac{dV}{dh}.\frac{dh}{dt}[/tex] where I've used h in place of your d to avoid confusion. You're trying to find [tex]\frac{dh}{dt}[/tex] given [tex]\frac{dV}{dt}[/tex] at a particular h.

To get the symbolic expression for [tex]\frac{dV}{dh}[/tex] (which equals A, the surface area of the top of the oil layer), use Pythagoras' theorem instead of trig, [tex]A = 2L\sqrt{Dh - h^2}[/tex] where L is the length of the cylinder and D the diameter.

Just a suggestion. :smile:

1. How do I calculate the oil level increase in a filled cylinder tank?

To calculate the oil level increase in a filled cylinder tank, you will need to know the volume of the tank and the amount of oil that has been added. You can then use the formula: (oil volume / tank volume) x 100 = oil level increase in percentage. For example, if you have a tank with a volume of 100 liters and you add 50 liters of oil, the oil level increase would be (50/100) x 100 = 50%.

2. What is the formula for calculating oil level increase in a filled cylinder tank?

The formula for calculating oil level increase in a filled cylinder tank is (oil volume / tank volume) x 100 = oil level increase in percentage. This formula takes into account the volume of the tank and the amount of oil added, and expresses the result as a percentage.

3. Can I use the same formula for any type of cylinder tank?

Yes, the formula for calculating oil level increase in a filled cylinder tank can be used for any type of cylinder tank, as long as you have the tank volume and the amount of oil added. However, if your tank has an irregular shape, you may need to use a different formula to calculate the volume.

4. How do I convert the oil level increase percentage to actual volume of oil added?

To convert the oil level increase percentage to actual volume of oil added, you can use the formula: (oil level increase / 100) x tank volume = volume of oil added. For example, if you have a tank with a volume of 100 liters and the oil level increase is 50%, the volume of oil added would be (50/100) x 100 = 50 liters.

5. Is there a specific unit of measurement that should be used for the tank volume and oil volume?

The units of measurement used for the tank volume and oil volume should be consistent. For example, if the tank volume is measured in liters, the oil volume should also be measured in liters. It is important to use the same units to ensure an accurate calculation.