1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cylinder rolling down an inclined plane

1. Mar 12, 2012 #1
    This is an even-numbered problem in my textbook that I'm looking at early though it hasn't been taught by my lecturer yet, because I need to know the concepts underlying it for a similar problem. Cld someone help me?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the case of a hollow cylinder rolling down a plane inclined to the ground at an angle β. There is a small piece of plasticine stuck to a fixed position on the cylinder's inner circumference. What is the acceleration in this case?

Assume the small piece of plasticine to be a rigid cylinder of radius r and mass m, and the hollow cylinder to be of radius R and mass M.

2. Relevant equations

The formula for acceleration of hollow and filled cylinders

3. The attempt at a solution

Can't solve...

Help please?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2012 #2
    i'm not too sure but i'm throwing it out there.

(whenever i type "I" it's for moment of inertia, when talking about myself i'll use lower case i).
    i assume you need first to find the moment of inertia through the center of the body, then use Steiner's equation to find I on the edge that is touching the incline.
    The hardest part here is that I of the edge that is touching the incline changes according the where the plasticine is, so you would have to find I as a function of θ (angular position of the plasticine).
    and θ is a function of how the body rolls.
    if it's rolling without slipping you can do a moment equation on the edge of the body
    Ʃτ=Iα
    α=a/R
    and maybe throw in a force equation or two, i think you should reach a good equation with θ and it's derivatives...
    hope this helped.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  4. Mar 13, 2012 #3
    Thanks. But i know these already.

By the way, there is friction, which has nonzero torque on the centre of the can.

5. Mar 13, 2012 #4
    Could you be more specific and show how you did the maths?

Sorry I'm so amateur-ish

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook