1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cylindrical coordinates question

1. Aug 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/64325990/cylindrical.PNG [Broken]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Okay so I found r = 2.24 and z = -3. However I am stuck at finding theta. I think I just don't understand what the question means when it says "In addition, the line defined by theta = 0 in the cylindrical frame points along the y-axis of the Cartesian frame.". I think it means that the new theta = 0 is the y-axis. If that is the case then theta would be greater than 180°/3.14rads. This is obviously wrong; could anyone please explain what is meant by this question?

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2012 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

compute theta for the standard cyl coords and then subtract pi/4. in xyz a line in the y direction would have a theta of pi/4 but in the problems it should have 0.

the problem is describing a another cyl coord system different from the one conventionally used to get you to think about what you're doing and what it means to translate points from xyz to another coord system.

4. Aug 23, 2012 #3
    Okay so I found that the theta for the standard cylindrical coordinates is 5.176. Then if I subtract is by pi/4 I get 4.391. I am still lost :S Don't you mean subtract pi/2? But even then the answer is wrong.

5. Aug 23, 2012 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If θ is measured counter-clockwise in the cylindrical system, then it will be measured clockwise in the Cartesian system.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook