D/dt of <y1|y2> =0 quantum physics

In summary, the conversation discusses using the product rule and the TDSE to confirm that the derivative of the integral of two wavefunctions Y1 and Y2 with respect to time is equal to zero. The speaker also mentions using the commutator relation, but is unsure if it can be applied in this situation.
Chronos000

Homework Statement

I have to confirm that d/dt [tex]\int[/tex] Y1* Y2 = 0

So far I have used the product rule to get two expressions.

Then I have used the TDSE to replace dY/dt and dY*/dt. I end up with the line:

(i/[tex]\hbar[/tex]) [ [tex]\int[/tex] H* Y1* Y2 - [tex]\int[/tex] Y1* H Y2 ]

from here I'm not sure where to go. I thought about using the commuator relation but I don't think i can since the operator is at the start of the expression in expression 1.

Physics news on Phys.org
What's Y1 and Y2?

they are just wavefunctions which depend on x and t

1. What does "D/dt" mean in the equation D/dt of = 0?

"D/dt" represents the derivative with respect to time. In the context of quantum physics, it is used to describe the rate of change of a quantum state over time.

2. What is the significance of the "|" symbol in the equation D/dt of = 0?

The "|" symbol, known as a "ket" in quantum physics notation, represents a quantum state. In this equation, represent two different quantum states, and the equation describes the change in the overlap between these states over time.

3. Why is the derivative of the quantum state equal to 0 in this equation?

In quantum physics, the D/dt of = 0 equation describes a situation where the quantum state is in a state of equilibrium or constant energy. This means that the state is not changing over time, so the derivative is equal to 0.

4. How does this equation relate to the Schrödinger equation?

The D/dt of = 0 equation is a simplified version of the Schrödinger equation, which describes the time evolution of a quantum state. This equation is often used in situations where the quantum state is not changing over time, making it a useful tool for solving certain problems in quantum physics.

5. Can this equation be applied to any quantum system?

Yes, the D/dt of = 0 equation can be applied to any quantum system where the state is not changing over time. However, in more complex systems, the equation may need to be modified to account for other factors such as external forces or interactions with other particles.