1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sequential Logic & JK Flip Flops

1. Dec 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Complete the truth table for the following
    http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/image_cache/httpwww.freeimagehosting.netuploadsd537e2dd9a.jpg [Broken]

2. Relevant equations
    JK Flip Flop Characteristic Table
    D Flip Flop Characteristic Table

3. The attempt at a solution
    I understand how to make truth tables for logic circuits and I know the characteristic tables. But what is really stumping me is the AND gate that go to the JK Flip flop. It seems to me that whenever x and A are put together in the AND gate, it will always be zero except for the two entries where A and X are equal to one. I have the solutions manual and my answer is incorrect. It has 1's in row 2 and 4 but I have absolutely no idea how.
    Here is what I have down just for the A column.
    A B X A(t+1) B(t+1)
    0 0 0 0
    0 0 1 0
    0 1 0 0
    0 1 1 0
    1 0 0 0
    1 0 1 1
    1 1 0 0
    1 1 1 1

Any help and/or explanation would be very much appreciated, my final is on Wednesday and I want to get this topic rock solid in my head.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2012 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If the circuit powers up with A=0, B=0 as far as I can see it's game over and nothing ever changes no matter what you do to X. JK is allways 00 = "no change" so A(t+1) = 0. D is allways 0 so B(t+1)=0.

So I can't see how they get a different answer to you for row two.

4. Dec 10, 2012 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I make A(t+1) and B(t+1) both = 0 for rows 2 and 4.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook