Converting Position/Time to Velocity/Time Graphs

• Thread starter john lavoie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graphs
In summary, you can convert a chart giving position and time into a velocity vs time graph by plotting d as position and v as velocity. You can also plot v-d to show the change in velocity over time.
john lavoie
Member warned to show an attempt at solution.

Homework Statement

What are the steps needed to convert a chart giving position and time into a velocity vs time chart and then graphing them both. How would i go from a d-t graph to a v-t graph and what steps do i take?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
have you taken elementary course in calculus?...if not then then you can go for " calculus for dummies"

Generally, your velocity is the slope of the distance vs. time plot.
If you are moving at a constant velocity, your d-t plot will be linear.
Conversely, if you have a velocity vs. time plot, and want to see the distance, that will be the area under the curve.
As debajyoti pointed out, these are fundamental concepts in calculus. But if you consider them for distance travelled, they are also somewhat intuitive.

Likes debajyoti datta
Well first if you have to define what motion is happening in the d-t graph.
Does it have acceleration? Does it resemble a constant speed? Or is the object moving at all?

Lets consider the third situation..
What do you think the graph will be like?
Note that d is a position. If it changes then the object is moving otherwise then it doesnt.
Now If it doesn't move, Then the velocity is = ?

How about a constant speed?
If it is constant speed then, it should move the same distance over a period of time.
Okay so how do you get the speed?
As it is constant then I just need to calculate the change of distance over time and it will give me the value.
So when I draw the v-t graph, How should I draw the v?

What about if it accelerates (Constant acceleration)?
Then the d-t should look like a curve because the change in distance changes over time.
How I am supposed to find the acceleration?
Well, you have the equations of motion. Once you get the acceleration.
You can draw the v-t.
Choose some arbitrary time and place it in the equations, get the final velocity and mark that on the graph. Connect the points and you will end up with a straight line

Biker said:
Well first if you have to define what motion is happening in the d-t graph.
Does it have acceleration? Does it resemble a constant speed? Or is the object moving at all?

Lets consider the third situation..
Note that d is a position. If it changes then the object is moving otherwise then it doesnt.
Now If it doesn't move, Then the velocity is = ?

How about a constant speed?
If it is constant speed then, it should move the same distance over a period of time.
Okay so how do you get the speed?
As it is constant then I just need to calculate the change of distance over time and it will give me the value.
So when I draw the v-t graph, How should I draw the v?

What about if it accelerates (Constant acceleration)?
Then the d-t should look like a curve because the change in distance changes over time.
How I am supposed to find the acceleration?
Well, you have the equations of motion. Once you get the acceleration.
You can draw the v-t.
Choose some arbitrary time and place it in the equations, get the final velocity and mark that on the graph. Connect the points and you will end up with a straight line

lets say I am given a d-t graph showing curves, how would i show that on a v-t graph

john lavoie said:
lets say I am given a d-t graph showing curves, how would i show that on a v-t graph
you can show v-d plot but time will not be there...in 3 dimensions however you can show all of them... :)

Last edited:
Here's a video that explains the idea.

If you share your curve and try to interpret it, we can provide more pointed feedback. However, in general, your question has been answered.
The slope of your position curve at any point in time will be the velocity at that time.

RUber said:
Here's a video that explains the idea.

If you share your curve and try to interpret it, we can provide more pointed feedback. However, in general, your question has been answered.
The slope of your position curve at any point in time will be the velocity at that time.
time between each of these points is 0.1 second
Position (m)(forward)

For example, in your first interval, position changes 0.01 m in 0.1 sec, which is a rate of 0.1 m/sec. So for your velocity plot, you will have a constant 0.1 m/sec over the same interval.

I would recommend you first plot this as constant velocity over each interval, and then discuss interpolation strategies later.

What is meant by "Converting Position/Time to Velocity/Time Graphs"?

Converting Position/Time to Velocity/Time Graphs refers to the process of taking data points of an object's position at different points in time and using that information to create a graph that shows the object's velocity over time. This allows scientists to better understand how an object's velocity changes over time and can reveal important patterns or trends.

Why is it important to convert Position/Time to Velocity/Time Graphs?

Converting Position/Time to Velocity/Time Graphs is important because it allows scientists to visualize and analyze an object's velocity over time. This information can provide insights into the object's motion and can be used to make predictions about its future behavior. Additionally, studying velocity over time is crucial in understanding concepts such as acceleration and energy.

What is the process for converting Position/Time to Velocity/Time Graphs?

The process for converting Position/Time to Velocity/Time Graphs involves plotting the position data points on a graph and then calculating the slope of the line connecting each point. The slope represents the object's velocity at that specific point in time. This process is repeated for each data point, resulting in a graph that shows the object's velocity over time.

What are some common units used for Position/Time and Velocity/Time Graphs?

The most commonly used units for Position/Time Graphs are meters (m) for position and seconds (s) for time. For Velocity/Time Graphs, the most common units are meters per second (m/s) for velocity and seconds (s) for time. However, depending on the specific experiment or study, other units may be used.

How can analyzing Velocity/Time Graphs help in understanding an object's motion?

Analyzing Velocity/Time Graphs can provide valuable information about an object's motion. The slope of the graph at any given point represents the object's velocity at that specific moment. A steeper slope indicates a higher velocity, while a flatter slope indicates a lower velocity. Additionally, the shape of the graph can reveal patterns such as constant velocity, acceleration, or deceleration, which can help in understanding the object's overall motion.