DAC based digital potentiometer

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of current and voltage output for a 7-bit DAC using a ladder circuit. The total current and output voltage are calculated for two different digital codes, with one having all switches on and the other having only one switch on. The input impedance and equivalent decimal resolution for the DAC are also mentioned. There is a correction made for part b, and a question is asked regarding the calculation of decimal resolution.
foobag
http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/2991/captureyd.jpg

To start off, I understand that I can compute the current flowing through each of the ladder rungs, as I = Vin/((2^n)*100k), where n is the terminal ladder interested in.

Doing so, I solved part a of the question for when the digital code D= 1111111, (7-bit DAC) was completely all on. Since there are two inverting op-amps with equal resistors in feedback, the ending output is a positive voltage value, which would be the total current flowing into the first op-amp multiplied by the feedback resistor.

Thus I got the total current for the first part as I = 9.921 * 10^-6 Amps, and thus the total output voltage to be Vout = 0.992 volts.

For part b, where D = 0000001, implies that just one of the switches is turned "on" to the op-amp while the others are shut off given the digital bit value of 0. Thus I assumed it is just D6 that is on, and calculated the total current as 5 * 10^-6 Amps, and the total Vout = 0.5 volts.

For part c, I am not entirely sure how to calculate the equivalent decimal resolution of the DAC.

For part d, I got the input impedance as just being equivalent to 2R for a R-2R type ladder circuit, no matter how long (even infinite), so the answer I got was 100k Ohm.

Please tell me if I am on the right track, appreciate the help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I caught an error for part B, i shouldve used the current running through D0 only, so recalculating gives me Vout = 0.00781 volts for D = 0000001.

for part c, I understand there are 2^7 = 128 bits possible. To calculate the decimal resolution would it just be 1volt/128 bits = 0.00781 volt/bit? I am not sure...

any insight?

1. What is a DAC based digital potentiometer?

A DAC based digital potentiometer is a type of electronic component that is used to vary the resistance of a circuit digitally. It consists of a digital-to-analog converter (DAC) and a series of resistors that can be switched on and off to produce a desired resistance value.

2. How does a DAC based digital potentiometer work?

The DAC based digital potentiometer works by converting a digital signal into an analog voltage, which is then used to switch the resistors on and off. This allows for precise control of the resistance value in a circuit.

3. What are the advantages of using a DAC based digital potentiometer?

One of the main advantages of using a DAC based digital potentiometer is that it allows for precise and accurate control of resistance values. It also offers greater flexibility and can be controlled digitally, making it more efficient and easier to use in electronic circuits.

4. What are the applications of a DAC based digital potentiometer?

DAC based digital potentiometers are commonly used in a variety of electronic devices, such as audio equipment, motor control systems, and instrumentation. They are also used in test and measurement equipment, as well as in industrial automation and robotics.

5. Are there any limitations to using a DAC based digital potentiometer?

One limitation of using a DAC based digital potentiometer is that it can only handle a limited amount of current, typically in the range of a few milliamps. It is also more expensive compared to traditional potentiometers. Additionally, they may not be suitable for high voltage applications.