Solve Op Amp Circuit Problem Homework Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses an Op-Amp circuit with a square wave input and resistors of 1kΩ. The first question is answered and the resulting output is Vout=2*Vin+2V. The conversation also explores the relationship between V/s and V/ms and the effects of short-circuiting R1 and R2. It is noted that the output clips at ±8V, and that a short-circuit across R1 leads to a saturating Vout at +15V. Finally, it is mentioned that a short-circuit across R2 turns the circuit into a unity-gain buffer with Vout = Vin. The conversation also assumes ±15V power supplies for the Op-Amp.
gl0ck

Homework Equations

I think I figured out the 1st question. The result I got is Vout=2*Vin+2V.
Which means twice as big wave as the Vin and shifted with 2V.
Is this enough or I have to write equations like 2nd -> Vout = 2*Vin+2V?
or
2) 2kV/s is the same as 2V/ms, or 20V in 10ms

3) Vout “clips” at ±8VIn fact it would be rather worse than this, as the output would not quite make it to the ±8V supplies.4) Short-circuit across R1 means that negative feedback has gone and the Op-Amp is simply comparing its input to 0V, multiplying the difference by the raw Op-Amp gain (very large) and thus saturating Vout at the (positive) power supply of +15V

5) Short-circuit across R2 makes the circuit into a unity-gain buffer with R1 as its load resistor, so Vout = Vin

Attachments

• graphs.jpg
    graphs.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 403
  • TheProblem.jpg
    TheProblem.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 384
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
gl0ck said:

Homework Equations

or
That depends on whether the bias current flows into the + or - input. If into the + there is no effect. If into the - there will be an output offset. Can't verify your answer since you didn't give us the values of R1 and R2.

Impossible to answer (2) and (3) unless R1 and R2 are given values.

3) Vout “clips” at ±8VIn fact it would be rather worse than this, as the output would not quite make it to the ±8V supplies.
If the input is

4) Short-circuit across R1 means that negative feedback has gone and the Op-Amp is simply comparing its input to 0V, multiplying the difference by the raw Op-Amp gain (very large) and thus saturating Vout at the (positive) power supply of +15V

and what about negative outputs? Actually, with an ideal op amp and the input going from exactly 0 to +5V, that question cannot be answered! The output is equally likely to stay at +15V or switch between + and - 15V. (Why?). But you have the right idea here.

5) Short-circuit across R2 makes the circuit into a unity-gain buffer with R1 as its load resistor, so Vout = Vin
That is correct.
see above in red

rude man said:
see above in red
shows a non-inverting Op-Amp circuit. *Its input waveform, Vin is a square wave with minimum and maximum values of 0V and +5V respectively. *R1 and R2 are both 1kΩ resistors. *For all of this assignment, apart from (3) below, assume that the Op-Amp’s power supplies are ± 15V.
The resistors values are 1kOhm
and the power supply is +-15V

or
That depends on whether the bias current flows into the + or - input. If into the + there is no effect. If into the - input your output expression is correct.

So draw the input and output waveforms.

3) Vout “clips” at ±8VIn fact it would be rather worse than this, as the output would not quite make it to the ±8V supplies.
Correct.

4) Short-circuit across R1 means that negative feedback has gone and the Op-Amp is simply comparing its input to 0V, multiplying the difference by the raw Op-Amp gain (very large) and thus saturating Vout at the (positive) power supply of +15V

With an ideal op amp and the input going from exactly 0 to +5V, the output will obviously be hard-over +15V when the input is at +5V. But what about when the input is at 0V?

That is correct.

Great job solving the first question! It is always good to show your work and equations to fully explain your solution. For the second question, yes, it would be helpful to also write out the equation to show how you arrived at your answer. For the remaining questions, your explanations are correct and show a good understanding of the concepts involved in op amp circuits. Keep up the good work!

1. What is an op amp circuit?

An op amp (operational amplifier) is an electronic component that amplifies the difference between two input signals. It has a high gain and high input impedance, making it ideal for a variety of applications.

2. How do I solve op amp circuit problems?

To solve an op amp circuit problem, you need to first analyze the circuit and identify the input and output signals. Then, you can use the appropriate equations (such as Kirchhoff's laws and the golden rules of op amps) to determine the output signal.

3. What are the golden rules of op amps?

The golden rules of op amps are: the input voltage is equal to the output voltage, and no current flows into the input terminals. These rules help simplify the analysis of op amp circuits.

4. What are some common op amp circuit configurations?

Some common op amp circuit configurations include inverting and non-inverting amplifiers, summing and difference amplifiers, and integrators and differentiators. Each configuration has its own set of equations and analysis techniques.

5. How do I choose the appropriate op amp for my circuit?

When choosing an op amp for your circuit, you need to consider factors such as input and output voltage range, gain, bandwidth, and supply voltage. These specifications can be found in the op amp's datasheet, and you can use them to determine which op amp is best suited for your circuit.