Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

DAC0801 with OPA541 as voltage follower, single supply

1. Aug 8, 2014 #1
    Hi all,

I'm attempting to use a DAC0801 and an Arduino to control the current through an LED ranging between 0.0 and 1.0 Amps. I tried to supply the DAC with a single power supply as shown in This Tutorial. Unfortunately, the maximum output current is several mA. Would I be able to power an OPA541 opamp with the same (12V) power supply and raise the max output current to 1 Amp?

Any suggestions are welcome!

(Also sorry if this is too basic a question, I'm just starting to dive into EE!)

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2014 #2

Baluncore

Science Advisor

I do not believe that the solution needs to use a high current op-amp.
    An op-amp is designed to produce a voltage output, here you need a current.

If you set the Iref of the DAC to 1 mA, then you can get the 1 amp maximum current by selecting the ratio of two resistors.

The attached circuit uses an op-amp with a P'channel MOSFET to generate the output current. The maximum output of 1 mA from the DAC will drop 1 volt across the 1k resistor. The op-amp will adjust the MOSFET gate until a current sufficient to drop 1V across the 1 ohm resistor flows through the LED. LED current will be proportional to DAC output current.

The MOSFET will need to dissipate a maximum of 12 watt, it will need a heatsink. The op-amp must be chosen to operate with common mode voltages including the +ve supply rail. The 1 ohm resistor will need to be rated at 1 watt.

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook