Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dad sells daughter's friendship on ebay.

1. Mar 18, 2006 #1
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2006 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are souls still for sale? I put a bid on one once (to use as a spare, if I needed to do something devious). I was outbid by an Irish guy named Angel O'Darkness.
  4. Mar 18, 2006 #3

Science Advisor

I heard that got taken down shortly after it was posted. The feds are also looking into things. Not good.
  5. Mar 18, 2006 #4

Staff: Mentor

That the add was up for a month before it got pulled, and that people actually bid on it rather than contacting Ebay is distressing.
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2006
  6. Mar 18, 2006 #5

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I hate how the "doctor" makes it a fact that the seller is a "sociopath".

He doesn't even know anything about it, and he's already stating facts... not claims, but facts.

I don't think that looks good on his part.
  7. Mar 18, 2006 #6

At this point I don't think they even know it was really a father, it could be someone stupid playing a practical joke.
  8. Mar 18, 2006 #7
    The story seems to be gone.

Edit: I found it.

Apparently all that was being sold was a "cyber" friendship at "myspace". This could be either a joke or the "daughter" might be a fake/fantasy character. If this is really a father pressuring his daughter into this it would be quite bad.
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2006
  9. Mar 18, 2006 #8

10. Mar 18, 2006 #9
  11. Mar 18, 2006 #10
    Pimping a cyber-relationship. My, how times have changed!
  12. Mar 20, 2006 #11
    "Friendship" on MySpace is a matter of social rank. I imagine having attractive people as a friend makes it even moreso. No, this ad is only objectionable to me in that it supports social rank through number of practically anonymous cyber "friends".
  13. Mar 20, 2006 #12
    I saw an ebay bid where a guy renounced his loyalty to the Detroit Lions (which he'd been a fan for like 30 years) and offered to instead cheer for whichever team the highest bidder chose - it included wearing jerseys on game days, watching all the games, etc. When I saw it, the bidding was actually at a hundred bucks or so - and it still had a lot of tiime left. The negotiating about what would be bought with the purchase did take up a lot of space - several folks wanted him to cheer against a certain team - which I'm not sure was part of the original terms of use.
  14. Mar 20, 2006 #13
    But by far the best internet nothing-for-something deal is the One Red Paperclip guy - who is in the process of trading up from one red paperclip to ultimately a house. He's now gone from originally having one red paperclip to now having a recording contract - but he will only stop once he has a house. It's awesome!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?