Dalton's law of partial pressure

In summary: There's no need to worry about ideal gases because they don't exist in the real world.In summary, Dalton's law is an approximation that is based on the assumption that there is little interaction between the gas molecules.
dRic2
Gold Member
Does anyone know a rigorous proof for Dalton's law ? I think I saw it once, but I can not find it again anywhere.

Thanks
Ric

Physics news on Phys.org
Dalton's "law" is not a real law but only an approximation. In the case of ordinary gases, the molecules or atoms do not collide very often, and the partial pressures add (as I am sure you know). It can be derived by neglecting the forces between these particles, and the volume occupied by them. A paragraph about it can be found at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalton's_law

You can start with a discussion of the kinetic theory of gases. I just read about it in Halliday, Resnick and Walker's "Fundamentals of Physics", fifth edition. They assume that the particles do not collide with one another, but only with the walls of whatever contains them. They derive an expression for the pressure based on the number of particles per unit volume and their average speed. Although they do not explicitly treat the case where the gas is a mixture, the concept can be extended to that case.

I hope that helps.

Likes dRic2
Wikipedia only says the total pressure for a mixture of gases can be expressed as ##p_{tot} = \sum p_i##, but it doesn't say why.

I do not know very much about kinetic theory of gasses, but if you say the answer lies there, then I'll study it. :wink::biggrin:

dRic2 said:
Wikipedia only says the total pressure for a mixture of gases can be expressed as ##p_{tot} = \sum p_i##, but it doesn't say why.
Because there is so little interaction of any type between the gas molecules that the forces from each can just be added together for a good approximation. So the pressures are added to get a total pressure.

Likes dRic2
FactChecker said:
good approximation
Yes, but I remember that, for ideal gasses, it not an approximation. Maybe it just comes from the fact that ideal gasses are supposed to have no interaction between their molecules, but I remember my professor showed this with math... Maybe I remember wrong.

dRic2 said:
Yes, but I remember that, for ideal gasses, it not an approximation. Maybe it just comes from the fact that ideal gasses are supposed to have no interaction between their molecules, but I remember my professor showed this with math... Maybe I remember wrong.
I just said "good approximation" out of an over-abundance of caution. It's probably good enough to be called exact. Yes, the assumption of no interaction is key.

Likes dRic2
FactChecker said:
So the pressures are added to get a total pressure.
A very noddy way of looking at the way pressures can add up would be to consider several small people banging against a wall with hammers. The effect of this (including the rate of hammering) is a pressure. Then take several larger people with bigger hammers, also banging on the wall. They will also have the effect of pressure and the two will just add together.
Instead of people, imagine large and small ballbearings in a steel box, all hitting the wall and bouncing against each other occasionally. The ball / ball collisions make no difference to the total momentum in the direction of the wall and you can think in terms of the frequency of collisions of the big balls and small balls against the wall. Collisions between big and small balls will even out the distribution of Kinetic energies of the balls (corresponding to the temperature in the gas) and the pressure on a wall will be the sum of the pressures (rate of collisions times average momentum). If you were to have just small balls in the box (same number), with the same mean speed (aka temperature) the pressure against the wall will be the same as the contribution of the small balls when they are part of the mixture. Ditto for the big balls.
That's just Kinetic Theory put into everyday words.

Likes FactChecker and dRic2

1. What is Dalton's law of partial pressure?

Dalton's law of partial pressure states that the total pressure of a mixture of gases is equal to the sum of the partial pressures of each individual gas in the mixture. In other words, the total pressure exerted by a mixture of gases is the same as the pressure each gas would exert if it were the only gas present in the container.

2. Who is John Dalton and why is this law named after him?

John Dalton was an English chemist and physicist who proposed the atomic theory of matter. He also conducted experiments on gases and discovered the law of partial pressures, which was later named after him in recognition of his contributions to the field of chemistry.

3. How is Dalton's law of partial pressure applied in real life?

Dalton's law of partial pressure is used in various industries and applications, such as in scuba diving, where the partial pressure of oxygen and nitrogen in the air mixture is important for diver safety. It is also used in the production of industrial gases, such as oxygen and nitrogen, as well as in medical settings for administering anesthesia.

4. What is the mathematical formula for calculating partial pressure using Dalton's law?

The mathematical formula for calculating partial pressure using Dalton's law is P = Ptotal * X, where P is the partial pressure of a gas, Ptotal is the total pressure of the gas mixture, and X is the mole fraction of the gas in the mixture.

5. How is Dalton's law of partial pressure related to the ideal gas law?

Dalton's law of partial pressure is a specific application of the ideal gas law, which states that the pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas are related by the equation PV = nRT. In this equation, the partial pressure of a gas is represented by nRT/V, which is a result of Dalton's law.