1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Damped Driven Harmonic Oscillator.

1. Jan 14, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An oscillator with mass 0.5 kg, stiffness 100 N/m, and mechanical resistance 1.4 kg/s is driven by a sinusoidal force of amplitude 2 N. Plot the speed amplitude and the phase angle between the displacement and speed as a function of the driving frequency and find the frequencies for which the phase angle for which the angle is 45 deg.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Using the general form of the solution:
    x(t) = A(w) sin(wt-Φ)
    where Φ=atan(2wp/(w_0^2-w^2))
    A(w) = (F/m)/((w_0^2-w^2)^2 + (2wp)^2)^0.5

I am positive the above equations are correct and come from the differential equation for this case.

Now, u(t) [speed] = d x(t)/dt.
    = w*A(w)*cos(wt-Φ)
    =w*A(w)*sin(wt-Φ+pi/2)

My question: Now the speed amplitude, I believe, is wA(w). Won't the phase angle between the displacement and velocity always be pi/2 irrespective of w?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, but this is not the phase shift. The phase shift is the phase between the driving force and the position, i.e., φ.

4. Jan 14, 2015 #3
    I agree but the question says the phase between the speed and the displacement. Am I interpreting this wrong?

5. Jan 14, 2015 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is very likely a misprint.

6. Jan 14, 2015 #5
    Thanks! I'm going to quote this as a misprint in my solution with the explanation of my rationale. Hopefully, that is good enough for my professor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted