• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Damped Driven Harmonic Oscillator.

Homework Statement

An oscillator with mass 0.5 kg, stiffness 100 N/m, and mechanical resistance 1.4 kg/s is driven by a sinusoidal force of amplitude 2 N. Plot the speed amplitude and the phase angle between the displacement and speed as a function of the driving frequency and find the frequencies for which the phase angle for which the angle is 45 deg.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the general form of the solution:
x(t) = A(w) sin(wt-Φ)
where Φ=atan(2wp/(w_0^2-w^2))
A(w) = (F/m)/((w_0^2-w^2)^2 + (2wp)^2)^0.5

I am positive the above equations are correct and come from the differential equation for this case.

Now, u(t) [speed] = d x(t)/dt.
= w*A(w)*cos(wt-Φ)
=w*A(w)*sin(wt-Φ+pi/2)

My question: Now the speed amplitude, I believe, is wA(w). Won't the phase angle between the displacement and velocity always be pi/2 irrespective of w?

[/B]

Answers and Replies

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Yes, but this is not the phase shift. The phase shift is the phase between the driving force and the position, i.e., φ.

Yes, but this is not the phase shift. The phase shift is the phase between the driving force and the position, i.e., φ.
I agree but the question says the phase between the speed and the displacement. Am I interpreting this wrong?

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I agree but the question says the phase between the speed and the displacement. Am I interpreting this wrong?
It is very likely a misprint.

It is very likely a misprint.
Thanks! I'm going to quote this as a misprint in my solution with the explanation of my rationale. Hopefully, that is good enough for my professor