Damping ratio from Eddy current breaking

In summary, the conversation discusses the design and build of a rig for introducing the concept of a mass spring damper system to mechanical engineers. The rig needs to be torsional and the design involves using a torsional pendulum with a Neodynium magnet to increase the damping force. However, the challenge is determining the damping force exerted by the magnet on the disc. Possible solutions include solving for the B-field passing through the disk or seeking help from the Electrical Engineering forum.
breen155
Hello All,

I have been asked to design and build a rig that will introduce the concept of a mass spring damper system to mechanical engineers in their early years of university. To make it slightly more complex, the rig needs to be torsional rather than linear.

My design so far is to use a torsional pendulum (an aluminium disk attached to a wire) and then slide a Neodynium magnet over the disc to increase the damping force via Eddy currents.

I have a desired angular velocity for the disc and calculated the appropriate spring constant for the wire and inertia for the disc, I require a high inertia so the disc will be heavy (~10kg).

What I am struggling to find however, is a method of determining the damping force that the magnet would exert on the disc. If anyone has any ideas or could point me in the right direction, that would be fantastic! :)

Many thanks in advance!
Liam

Attachments

• Rig.jpg
    Rig.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 451
Engineering news on Phys.org
Eeks. That's a tough question. I wish I still remembered more of my e-mag coursework. The answer depends on the magnets shape, spacing, and how the magnetic flux flows around them and thru the disk. In short, you need to solve for the B-field that passes thru the disk.

You could cheat and determine the damping force by solving the equations of motion using measured data from your apparatus.

**edit
You may want to post this question over on the Electrical Eng forum. Somebody there who still remembers their e-mag courses could probably give you more insight.

1. What is damping ratio from eddy current breaking?

The damping ratio from eddy current breaking is a measure of how effectively a material can dissipate energy from induced eddy currents. It is a dimensionless quantity that is often used in the design of braking systems to ensure safe and efficient operation.

2. How is damping ratio from eddy current breaking calculated?

The damping ratio from eddy current breaking is calculated by taking the ratio of the eddy current losses to the total energy stored in the system. It can also be calculated using the equation ζ = C/V, where C is the damping coefficient and V is the velocity of the material.

3. What materials have a high damping ratio from eddy current breaking?

Materials with high electrical conductivity, such as copper, aluminum, and other non-ferrous metals, have a high damping ratio from eddy current breaking. This is because they are able to dissipate energy from induced eddy currents more effectively than materials with lower conductivity.

4. How does damping ratio from eddy current breaking affect braking performance?

The damping ratio from eddy current breaking is directly related to the amount of braking force that can be applied to a system. A higher damping ratio means that the material is better at dissipating energy and can therefore provide stronger braking forces. This is important for ensuring safe and efficient braking in various applications.

5. Can damping ratio from eddy current breaking be adjusted?

Yes, the damping ratio from eddy current breaking can be adjusted by changing the materials used or altering the design of the braking system. For example, increasing the thickness of the eddy current braking material can increase the damping ratio, while adding insulating layers can decrease it. Adjusting the design of the braking system can also affect the damping ratio by changing the velocity of the material or the strength of the eddy currents induced.