Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dangerous tasks

1. Apr 4, 2009 #1

wolram

Gold Member

What would you consider as dangerous, rule out as some thing you would not do.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2009 #2
    Would not have a meeting with a werewolf on a full moon.

4. Apr 4, 2009 #3
    97% of the skateboard tricks I've seen. There are painful videos all over the Internet.

Climbing skyscrapers.

Filling out a job application at AIG.

5. Apr 4, 2009 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Go skydiving AGAIN.

6. Apr 4, 2009 #5

wolram

Gold Member

Did you bust some thing

7. Apr 4, 2009 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Walking out in my backyard.

8. Apr 4, 2009 #7

Danger

Gold Member

I'm thinking that being Woolie's dustman would be rather frightening.

9. Apr 4, 2009 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Would you meet with one here on earth?

This is something that I would love to do, but know better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U66qW7kBVnM

10. Apr 5, 2009 #9
    What god do Hawaiians attribute for the Wave! I don't believe even Jaws would survive that swell. My cheap Bose speakers handled the onslaught though.

11. Apr 5, 2009 #10
    killing Nemesis with a knife

12. Apr 5, 2009 #11
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  13. Apr 5, 2009 #12
    Kiss a cobra on its hood.

Charmers do it. And some crazy person on discovery channel did it with a king cobra.

14. Apr 5, 2009 #13

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Thankfully, no.

I actually jumped about 12 times. The last two of those were supposed to be 10 seconds of freefall, then pull the ripcord. But I'd go into a spin during the freefall and have to pop the chute early before getting totally out of control. Seeing that I really wasn't in control mentally (a point made very clear to me by the skydiving instructor), I decided to quit while I was ahead.

Oddly, every once in a while I'll dream that I have taken up skydiving again. But no, it's not gonna happen.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  15. Apr 5, 2009 #14
    A few summers back, I was waiting in line to go para-sailing. I was a little bit scared and began talking to the lady ahead of me. She assured me that it was fun and some what safe, after all, she had done it many times.
    I was really getting brave now, as I watched everyone enjoying them selfs. Next up, the lady ahead of me. She stumbles, and yells something, they don't stop, they drag her face first across the sand, other people are now yelling, they still don't stop. Into the water she goes, and it looks like she is trying to get the harness off, she is really struggling. Finally the boat driver stops, scoops the lady out of the water and brings her ashore.
    After getting her out of the harness, and shooing her off{dazed and bleeding}, they ask "Who's next"? I, of course, did the right thing. Slowly taking steps backwards {never show your back to that which about to kill you}, while pointing to different people and saying, I think they are next.

16. Apr 5, 2009 #15
    My wife's husband. The cooking is to die for.

17. Apr 5, 2009 #16

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Assuming that it's like many places in Hawaii, what we can't see is the razor-sharp coral just a few feet below. Either way, going down at the wrong time on wave like that is very very bad. I've been on a wave about a third [maybe nearly half] that size and it was one of the most memorable experiences of my life. Almost died when I tried to catch the next one, so I decided that one was enough.

If you watch closely, you can see the blast of wind from the break nearly blow him off the board. As the break begins to catch him, you see him get hit by it.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  18. Apr 5, 2009 #17
    It's usually too late by the time I rule it out. For example, I don't think I'll eat habanero peppers again.

19. Apr 6, 2009 #18

~christina~

Gold Member

skiing, trying to swim across a large deep body of water, jumping out of a plane, going hiking to somewhere dangerous that is above sea level, skateboarding tricks, and on and on and on.

I'm not a risk taker or someone who likes to do activities which include risks.

20. Apr 6, 2009 #19

turbo

Gold Member

Wimp! What's a Ballpark Frank without habanero relish and horseradish mustard? If your scalp isn't sweaty, you didn't put on enough relish.

21. Apr 6, 2009 #20

wolram

Gold Member

I put a big rock in it to stop it blowing around and the bin men pinched it, after several goes at the same, i am running out of big rocks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook