Try Soap-Free Bathing: Richard's Experiences | Free the Animal

• Thread starter Newai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Soap
In summary, Richard Nikoley at Free the Animal has been experimenting with basically a soap-free lifestyle for 18 months now (according to a recent update) and reported his experience (six months in):- Took about two weeks to normalize. That is, I felt my hair was greasy and skin oily up to then.- Now it's intermittent. It's perhaps a function of water hardness, but sometimes skin and hair feel squeaky clean, and other times indeterminate.- Even when I feel greasy/oily in the shower with just water, once everything dies out, it's always all the same -- fine; soft & dry.- My skin & hair have never been softer.
Newai
Richard Nikoley at Free the Animal has been experimenting with basically a soap-free lifestyle for 18 months now (according to a recent update) and reported his experience (six months in):
Richard Nikoley said:
I haven't used soap or shampoo anyplace on my body for six months, save hand washing in advance of food prep. That's it. let me just report my observations and leave you to judge.

* Took about two weeks to normalize. That is, I felt my hair was greasy and skin oily up to then.
* Now it's intermittent. It's perhaps a function of water hardness, but sometimes skin and hair feel squeaky clean, and other times indeterminate.
* Even when I feel greasy/oily in the shower with just water, once everything dies out, it's always all the same -- fine; soft & dry.
* My skin & hair have never been softer. Never.
* If anything, my hair is less "greasy" than ever, yet shampoo hasn't touched it in over six months.
* Private parts. Have to address this, of course. This is the biggest benefit of all. Surprised? You'll just have to try it, because I'm not going to elaborate. That's why they call them "private parts." OK, a clue: maybe it's the constant cleansing that's the cause of the sweaty-stinky problem in the first place? If for nothing else, I'm soap free for life on this point alone. I feel as though I've been scammed -- and liberated. I can't explain further. You'll just have to try.
* You'll save a lot of money, especially you chicks. Grils: you can Google about no shampoo. Lotsa links.

...I'll never use soap or shampoo on anything but my hands for the rest of my life.

http://freetheanimal.com/2009/12/paleo-i-dont-care-i-like-no-soap-no-shampoo.html

Me, I've been doing laundry detergent-free for about the same time and no complaints here. But the no-soap idea sounds a little scary. And exciting. Well, I'm not ditching deodorant. But soap? I dunno.

What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't clean clothes decently without soap. Your clothes are probably full of dirt. What's wrong with soap?

The ancient Romans would coat themselves with oil and then use special metal scrapers to scrape the dirt and oil off.

Who is that nut you referenced? Does he not know that the less you clean, the less oil your glands will produce, this is elementary school stuff. I'd hate to look into his hair follicles at the number of mites in there. Although he doesn't notice he stinks, I'll bet anyone else can smell him a mile away. Soap has a purpose.

Last edited:
Newai said:
What do you think?
Use soap! You damn hippies.:rolleyes:

How do astronauts/cosmonauts clean themselves?

You could go back to using a very stiff brush (we call it a "scrub" in Norwegian, don't know the English word).
This is actually very effective, and gets rid of old skin as well.

arildno said:
You could go back to using a very stiff brush (we call it a "scrub" in Norwegian, don't know the English word).
This is actually very effective, and gets rid of old skin as well.

I've been using a brush with soap. But feels kinda rough on my skin.

Evo said:
You can't clean clothes decently without soap. Your clothes are probably full of dirt. What's wrong with soap?

The ancient Romans would coat themselves with oil and then use special metal scrapers to scrape the dirt and oil off.

Who is that nut you referenced? Does he not know that the less you clean, the less oil your glands will produce, this is elementary school stuff. I'd hate to look into his hair follicles at the number of mites in there. Although he doesn't notice he stinks, I'll bet anyone else can smell him a mile away. Soap has a purpose.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strigil

that nut is just your standard paleo diet nutter. not quite as stupid as the guy that gave himself scurvy, but still...

OK, I read it. It sounds like "Free the Animal", bring out the animal in you. So we and the animals will be on the same page. Everyone will be family. I will look and smell like a monkey and they will not feel embarrassed coming to my table for meals. Perfect!

After experimenting, I find that 1/2-1/3 of the recommended amount of laundry detergent does a perfectly fine job of cleaning. (And of course, if you are in the business of selling soap, you don't want to underestimate how much to tell your customers to use!)

However, I would not argue that since it's possible to use too much we should therefore use none at all.

Meant to ask this of using soap-

So is this a nutty trend I should stay away from?

This is the first time I've come across "paleo" people.

Newai said:
I've been using a brush with soap. But feels kinda rough on my skin.
There is a Norwegian dermatologist who stopped using what he called "copious amounts of soap" years ago, and uses hard, old-fashioned scrubbing instead.
He says the pain wears off after a few weeks of usage.

Newai said:
On the laundry:

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/SmartSpending/blog/page.aspx?post=1617779&ocid=twmsnss

Just last week I forgot to put the soap in the washer. I got the clothes out and and they were still dirty, then I realized what the problem was, no soap. I rewashed the load with soap and the dirt and stains were gone.

Just read about surfactants and you'll understand why detergent removes dirt that water alone can't. It's science.

On the other hand, for regular housecleaning, I use nothing but water, unless it's really greasy. I even clean my mirrors with nothing but a clean sponge and water.

Newai said:
Meant to ask this of using soap-

This is the first time I've come across "paleo" people.

soap makes it easier to remove lipids. makes them soluble in the water so they wash away (or sometimes insoluble as soap scum if you have hard water).

the real question may be how much of the apocrine gland secretions you can remove from your arm and leg pits. maybe you won't smell the bacterial endproducts after 6 months, but people around you might.

Evo said:
Just last week I forgot to put the soap in the washer. I got the clothes out and and they were still dirty, then I realized what the problem was, no soap. I rewashed the load with soap and the dirt and stains were gone.

Just read about surfactants and you'll understand why detergent removes dirt that water alone can't. It's science.
Without using soap, you need to use hard, mechanical work to get the clothes (and body) as clean as we get them now.

There are few who nowadays can share the appreciation what a blessing housewives found the washing machine with its soap-based cleansing agent.

arildno said:
Without using soap, you need to use hard, mechanical work to get the clothes (and body) as clean as we get them now.

There are few who nowadays can share the appreciation what a blessing housewives found the washing machine with its soap-based cleansing agent.
But you've got to admit that things like ink, blood, grass & oil, can be broken up and rinsed away with different types of cleaners. No amount of banging with a rock is going to remove that ball point pen stain, well, unless there is no cloth left.

Dish soap for greasy dishes, detergent for clothes are two things I use. Soap makes it easier to remove dirt from my skin, and the oils they contain put a protective layer of oil back. I have extremely dry skin. I do use brushes to exfoliate, a good soaking in water will soften the dead skin, but you need to get it off, otherwise it will just dry back on your skin.

Like I said, I don't use cleansers on my kitchen counters or stove top, don't need them. Warm water is all it takes. I do use bleach for stains and always bleach in the bathroom, that's all I use in there. And my tile floors, a bit of bleach in the mop water.

Last edited:
I love the smell of soap! Dial is probably my favorite...:!)

Evo said:
You can't clean clothes decently without soap.
I once washed some clothes that came out...'what the heck is wrong with my clothes?!...oops, I think I forgot something.'

And I'm guessing "Took about two weeks to normalize" means "took about two weeks to get used to my own wretched stench before I stopped noticing". Here's a tip: few people will complain about your wretched BO even if it makes them physically ill and I promise you it does.
V50 said:
After experimenting, I find that 1/2-1/3 of the recommended amount of laundry detergent does a perfectly fine job of cleaning. (And of course, if you are in the business of selling soap, you don't want to underestimate how much to tell your customers to use!)
I have ridiculously hard water that neutralizes soap, so I have to use extra.

Last edited:
Now I know where the English word "scrub" comes from, it's Norwegian.

Proton Soup said:
not quite as stupid as the guy that gave himself scurvy...
I got to hear this one.

What about toothpaste? Is that considered soap? Has anyone ever tried brushing their teeth with just water?

(:yuck:)

Man gives up soap, discovers the only thing he really gave up is his own sense of smell...

Yeesh. The forum for that article, and the paleo guy's blog, is filling with personal anecdotes supporting their soap-free lifestyle. Who needs the backing of science when you have Bubba's experience? :frown:

Newai said:
Yeesh. The forum for that article, and the paleo guy's blog, is filling with personal anecdotes supporting their soap-free lifestyle. Who needs the backing of science when you have Bubba's experience? :frown:

Aaahahaha...:smile:

Evo said:

He recently posted about how unfortunate it is that the animals of the world are weighted down with oils their entire lives.

russ_watters said:
I got to hear this one.

i originally posted about the guy https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=441543&highlight=scurvy"

unfortunately, he's deleted a lot of it, and the wayback machine doesn't have it. bit embarrassing, i guess. but the gist is that the guy writes an article on scurvy, then goes on an all-meat diet (not much C after you freeze/store/cook) and gives himself scurvy. at first, he didn't know what was going on, posted about his symptoms, and learned a hard lesson.

http://www.carnivorehealth.com/main/2009/6/3/disease-of-civilization-scurvy-vitamin-c-deficiency.html [Broken]
http://www.carnivorehealth.com/main/2009/11/27/dry-fasting-its-gnarly-effects.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
arildno said:
There is a Norwegian dermatologist who stopped using what he called "copious amounts of soap" years ago, and uses hard, old-fashioned scrubbing instead.
He says the pain wears off after a few weeks of usage.

Yes, immediately after you've destroyed all of your nerve endings.

1. What is soap-free bathing and why should I try it?

Soap-free bathing involves using natural and gentle alternatives to traditional soap, such as plant-based cleansers or natural oils. It can be beneficial for those with sensitive skin or allergies to harsh chemicals found in soap. It also helps to maintain the skin's natural moisture barrier and prevent dryness.

2. How does soap-free bathing compare to using traditional soap?

Soap-free bathing is a more gentle and natural approach to cleansing the skin. Traditional soap can strip the skin of its natural oils and disrupt the skin's pH balance, leading to dryness, irritation, and even skin conditions. Soap-free products are typically milder and less likely to cause these issues.

3. Can soap-free bathing still effectively clean the skin?

Yes, soap-free products can still effectively clean the skin without causing dryness or irritation. Many natural ingredients have cleansing properties and can remove dirt, oils, and bacteria from the skin without the need for harsh chemicals.

4. Are there any potential drawbacks to soap-free bathing?

One potential drawback is that soap-free products may not produce as much lather as traditional soap, which some people may associate with a thorough clean. However, this does not mean they are any less effective at cleansing the skin. Additionally, some may find that soap-free products have a different scent or texture compared to traditional soap.

5. How can I incorporate soap-free bathing into my routine?

You can start by swapping out your traditional soap for a soap-free alternative, such as a natural cleanser or oil. It's important to patch test any new products on a small area of skin to ensure you do not have any adverse reactions. You can also try using soap-free products for a few weeks and see how your skin responds before making it a permanent part of your routine.