Dark Energy: Supernovae Ia, Vacuum Energy & Quintessence

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of dark energy and its relation to quintessence. The speaker also mentions several sets of data that support the dark energy interpretation, including supernovae, cosmic microwave background, baryon acoustic oscillation, and cluster mass counts. It is also mentioned that the current estimate for dark energy is 74 percent of critical density, and its equation of state is believed to be -1. The difference between dark energy and quintessence is that the latter is a new field that could vary in space and time, while dark energy is more like vacuum energy.
pi.rootpi
Hi, I have another doubt :biggrin:

In addition to the Supernovae Ia, which more brought us to think the expansion was accelerating? And is there any difference between dark energy and quintessence? Because I've heard that dark energy is like vacuum energy (cosmological constant) and quintessence... I don't really know :tongue:

Thanks for all, since I'm in Physics Forums I've learned lots of healpful thigs!

Space news on Phys.org
There are 3 or 4 independent sets of data that support the dark energy interpretation. Here's a thread on a recent one
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=280456

It's a thread I set up in Cosmo forum in case anyone wanted to discuss the latest confirmation of dark energy----by counting clusters of galaxies of various masses, at near and medium distance (low and medium redshift).

A good way to answer your question is to go here,
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/cosmicvariance/2008/12/16/dark-energy-no-longer-a-surprise/
and look at the figure of overlapping intersecting ovals. These show confidence bounds on two important Cosmology parameters----dark energy fraction (around 0.74) and dark energy equationofstate (around -1)

The four intersecting colored ovals are

Supernovae---yellow oval
WMAP cosmic microwave background data----blue oval
BAO baryon acoustic oscillation data-----green oval
cluster mass counts (the latest stuff)-----pink oval

combined---red blob where they intersect

You will see how each oval helps to narrow down the ranges on these two parameters. Those two numbers go into the cosmo models that give us estimates of other kinds of things that we can compare with observation.

In case anyone is unfamiliar. There is a welldefined energy density of 0.85 nanojoules per cubic meter, called critical density. The number 0.74 means that dark energy is estimated to be 74 percent of critical. That gives us a figure for it in nanojoules per cubic meter, if we want.
The equationofstate is just the ratio of the DE pressure to the DE energy density. As more data accumulates it seems increasingly likely that this ratio is -1.

Last edited:
pi.rootpi said:
And is there any difference between dark energy and quintessence? Because I've heard that dark energy is like vacuum energy (cosmological constant) and quintessence... I don't really know :tongue:

Unlike vacuum energy, quintessence is a new field that could vary in space and time. See

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=1327486.

1. What is dark energy?

Dark energy is a hypothetical form of energy that is believed to make up around 70% of the total mass-energy of the universe. It is thought to be responsible for the observed acceleration in the expansion of the universe.

2. What is a supernova Ia and how does it relate to dark energy?

A supernova Ia is a type of supernova explosion that occurs in a binary star system, where one of the stars is a white dwarf. These explosions are used as standard candles to measure distances in the universe. They played a crucial role in the discovery of dark energy, as their observed brightness was found to be dimmer than expected, indicating the accelerating expansion of the universe.

3. What is vacuum energy and its role in understanding dark energy?

Vacuum energy is a concept from quantum mechanics that proposes that empty space is not truly empty, but rather contains a background energy. This energy is thought to contribute to the total energy of the universe and may be a possible explanation for dark energy.

4. What is quintessence and how does it differ from other theories about dark energy?

Quintessence is a theoretical form of energy that is proposed as an alternative to the cosmological constant (vacuum energy) for explaining dark energy. Unlike the cosmological constant, which is a constant value, quintessence is a dynamic field that can change over time and may have different effects on the expansion of the universe.

5. What current research is being done on dark energy?

There is ongoing research on dark energy, including studies of supernova Ia explosions, measurements of the cosmic microwave background, and observations of the large-scale structure of the universe. Scientists are also working to refine and test different theories, such as vacuum energy and quintessence, in order to better understand the nature of dark energy and its role in the universe.