Dark Matter vs Modified Gravity: Uncovering New Theories

In summary, there are several Modified Gravity theories that are being considered as alternatives to the popular Dark Matter theory. These include TeVeS and MOG, proposed by John Moffat. However, there are still some unresolved issues and criticisms surrounding these theories. More research and investigation is needed to determine the validity of these theories and their potential to explain the mysteries of Dark Matter and Dark Energy.
Fred Bett
Dark Matter was never found, what Modified Gravity theories should we check now?

Physics news on Phys.org
What you think about MOG Modified Gravity theory from John Moffat?
he don't need the Dark Matter proposal that may be same like ether, non-exixting

Attachments

• Moffat MOG - Miami2015ConferenceTalk.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 309
Fred Bett said:
What you think about MOG Modified Gravity theory from John Moffat?
Your link didn't work for me. (Probably better to post a link to arxiv rather than post the PDF directly)

To my understanding, John Moffat 's MOG is an example of the TeVeS theories that @pervect mentioned above.

Dale said:
Your link didn't work for me. (Probably better to post a link to arxiv rather than post the PDF directly)

To my understanding, John Moffat 's MOG is an example of the TeVeS theories that @pervect mentioned above.
Sorry but I don't have the link, please do a Google search for > John Moffat Miami 2015 conference
find also this one > Modified Gravity, Dark Matter and Dark Energy
John Moffat
Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada 2/4/2013

1. What is dark matter?

Dark matter is a hypothetical form of matter that is thought to make up approximately 85% of the total matter in the universe. It cannot be observed directly, but its presence is inferred through its gravitational effects on visible matter.

2. What is modified gravity?

Modified gravity is an alternative theory to explain the observed gravitational effects in the universe, without the need for dark matter. It suggests that the laws of gravity may be different on a large scale, and that there may be modifications to Einstein's theory of general relativity.

3. How do dark matter and modified gravity differ?

Dark matter and modified gravity differ in their explanations for the observed gravitational effects in the universe. Dark matter proposes the existence of a new type of matter, while modified gravity suggests a modification to the laws of gravity themselves.

4. What evidence supports the existence of dark matter?

There is a significant amount of observational evidence that supports the existence of dark matter. This includes the rotational speeds of galaxies, gravitational lensing, and the cosmic microwave background radiation. However, the exact nature of dark matter is still unknown.

5. How do scientists study dark matter and modified gravity?

Scientists study dark matter and modified gravity through a variety of methods, including observations from telescopes and satellites, computer simulations, and laboratory experiments. These approaches help to test and refine our understanding of these theories and potentially uncover new evidence for their existence.