DC Battery Bank for Sup. Power

In summary, the small machine shop is looking into the feasibility of building a bank of 12V deep cell batteries to run through an inverter and then to a breaker box. The batteries could then be charged at night after closing time.
TacPyro
Hello everyone and thank you for having me on the forum.

I have a bit of a unique situation in which our very small machine shop is limited to one 20 amp breaker, and we have outgrown it. It is impossible to run more power to the building due to its remote location from any drop source. Running more power from the original source would also be very difficult due to obstructions that have come after the original line was laid.
We have been wondering if it would be possible to build a bank of 12V deep cell batteries run through an inverter then to a breaker box and then to outlets. The batteries could then be charged at night after closing time.
Is this something that would be feasible in relation to affordability and ease of construction, maintenance, etc.?

I apologize for not having anything to offer to the forum at this point, but maybe I will after I figure out this issue.

Thank you all for the help.

Take care,

Blane

Engineering news on Phys.org
TacPyro said:
Hello everyone and thank you for having me on the forum.

I have a bit of a unique situation in which our very small machine shop is limited to one 20 amp breaker, and we have outgrown it. It is impossible to run more power to the building due to its remote location from any drop source. Running more power from the original source would also be very difficult due to obstructions that have come after the original line was laid.
We have been wondering if it would be possible to build a bank of 12V deep cell batteries run through an inverter then to a breaker box and then to outlets. The batteries could then be charged at night after closing time.
Is this something that would be feasible in relation to affordability and ease of construction, maintenance, etc.?

I apologize for not having anything to offer to the forum at this point, but maybe I will after I figure out this issue.

Thank you all for the help.

Take care,

Blane

Has the utility or electrician flat out said, "We will not upgrade"? You can usually run conduit with an appropriate feed. May not be pretty, but it'll usually be up to code, can handle the appropriately-sized conductors and sufficiently protects the wiring.

I'm pretty surprised you can run any sort of shop on a single 20A circuit (dual phase?) I'd imagine you'd blow it pretty easily with the lights on and just running something like a chop saw.

EDIT: Depending on what your incoming service is, you might need to upgrade that, too! (e.g. from 100A to 200 or 300A)

Theoretically it is possible, but it is not economic solution, using of one mini generator is more economic and applicable.

:wink:

-----------------------------------------------
Creative thinking is enjoyable, Then think about your surrounding things and other thought products. http://electrical-riddles.com

1. What is a DC battery bank?

A DC battery bank is a system of multiple batteries connected together in parallel or series to provide a larger overall capacity for storing and supplying direct current (DC) power.

2. What are the benefits of using a DC battery bank for superior power?

A DC battery bank allows for a larger and more reliable power supply, as the multiple batteries can support each other and provide a continuous flow of power. This is especially useful for high-power devices or systems that require a constant and stable power source.

3. How do I determine the size of DC battery bank I need?

The size of a DC battery bank needed depends on the power requirements of the devices or systems it will be supplying power to. It is important to calculate the total power consumption and then choose a battery bank with a capacity that can handle that load, taking into account factors such as efficiency and discharge rate.

4. Can a DC battery bank be used for renewable energy sources?

Yes, a DC battery bank can be used to store and supply power from renewable energy sources such as solar panels or wind turbines. This allows for a more consistent and reliable power supply, as the batteries can store excess energy generated by the renewable source for later use.

5. How do I maintain a DC battery bank for optimal performance?

To maintain a DC battery bank, it is important to regularly check and monitor the batteries for any signs of damage or deterioration. It is also recommended to perform regular maintenance, such as cleaning and equalizing the batteries, to ensure they are working at their highest capacity. It is also important to follow the manufacturer's guidelines for charging and discharging the batteries to prolong their lifespan.