DC Generator: Equations & Graphs

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between AC and DC generators and how to modify the equations and graphs from an AC generator to make them applicable to a DC generator. The main difference lies in the connections to the coil, with AC generators using slip rings and DC generators using a commutator. The equations for magnetic flux, current, and voltage remain the same, but the absolute value must be taken into account for DC generators. The conversation ends with gratitude towards truesearch for clarifying the information.
LovePhys
Hello everyone,

I found on this website http://spiff.rit.edu/classes/phys213/lectures/lenz/lenz_long.html a very good explanation for AC generators. Particularly I am considering these two images:

attachment.php?attachmentid=49307&stc=1&d=1343211095.jpg

And
attachment.php?attachmentid=49308&stc=1&d=1343211095.jpg

I found those equations and graphs are quite interesting and wish to make a "change" so that they are valid for DC generators.

My thinking is that: For the sine graph, I have to flip the negative part to make it positive. It will look something like this:

attachment.php?attachmentid=49309&stc=1&d=1343211561.jpg

Also, the equations for magnetic flux, the current and also the voltage basically stay the same but should be taken as the absolute value.

Can anyone please correct me if I wrong?

Many thanks,
LovePhys

Attachments

• lenz_11.jpeg
    lenz_11.jpeg
    35.2 KB · Views: 1,993
  • lenz_12.jpeg
    lenz_12.jpeg
    40.7 KB · Views: 2,106
  • Figure 208.jpg
    Figure 208.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 724
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are on the right track. The main difference between an AC and a DC generator is the means of making connections to the coil.
In an AC machine 'Slip rings' are used to preserve the AC voltage and current. In a DC machine a 'commutator' is used to make the voltage and current in one direction, just as you have drawn in your last diagram.

Thank you very much truesearch!

1. What is a DC generator?

A DC generator is a device that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy. It does this by using electromagnetic induction, where a changing magnetic field induces a current in a closed circuit.

2. What are the main components of a DC generator?

The main components of a DC generator include a stator (stationary part), a rotor (rotating part), brushes, and a commutator. The stator contains the field winding, which produces the magnetic field, while the rotor contains the armature winding, where the induced current flows. The brushes and commutator work together to convert the alternating current produced by the armature into direct current.

3. What is the equation for calculating the voltage output of a DC generator?

The equation for calculating the voltage output of a DC generator is given by:
V = P * N * Φ * Z / 60A
Where:
V = Voltage output
P = Number of poles
N = Rotational speed in revolutions per minute (RPM)
Φ = Flux per pole in webers
Z = Total number of conductors in armature
A = Number of parallel paths in armature

4. How do the graphs of voltage output and rotational speed differ for a DC generator?

The graph of voltage output versus rotational speed for a DC generator is a straight line, showing a direct relationship between the two variables. However, the slope of the line depends on the number of poles and the flux per pole, which can vary between different types of DC generators.

5. What are the factors that affect the efficiency of a DC generator?

The efficiency of a DC generator is affected by factors such as the design and construction of the generator, the quality of the materials used, the speed and load on the generator, and the maintenance and upkeep of the generator. Additionally, the choice of brush and commutator materials can also impact the efficiency of a DC generator.