DC Motor: Wooden vs Metal frame/shaft

In summary, the advantages of using wood over metal in a DC motor or even in an AC motor are that wood is stronger and can withstand higher temperatures.
Curious007
In DC motor or even in AC motor, if we use wooden frame and shaft, would it be advantageous than using Metal frame and shaft? Assume that would can with stand any temperature.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Advantageous of using wood rather than metal in what respect?
price, performance, durability,...
You are asking a very open question.

Well, we know that wood is much stronger than metal, don't we?

And that wood can withstand higher temperatures than metal, because wood doesn't burn, right?

Well the advantages are many. I took wood as example. We can go for Fiber Glass or Cabon fiber, it will make it costly. But isn't it we would have very very light motor for Bikes than Metal frame one.
And I believe we can use any non conducting material for Frame and Shaft, right?

What's the real question here?

Of course the "best choice" depends on the situation. If you invent arbitrary different usage scenarios, you will get different "best" choices of material. But so what?

I was thinking to develop a very light weight DC Motor which will be 5-9 HP and equivalent to 100-150 CC gas engine for RC plane and Small e-bike.

Curious007 said:
In DC motor or even in AC motor, if we use wooden frame and shaft, would it be advantageous than using Metal frame and shaft?
I think you'll find the iron stator cores (poles) are bolted to the steel case meaning the case does double dutyproviding a low reluctance magnetic circuit linking one pole to the next. If you manufacture the case in fibreglass, you'll have to add iron to join the poles.

Can't we have everything in Fiberglass or Carbon Fiber including nuts, bolts, shaft, frame etc except Coil and Magnets to make it complete high performance motor?

You might find fibreglass or carbon fibre fasteners (nuts, bolts, etc.) a bit hard to come by. The properties of these materials don't lend themselves to standing up well to being twisted over a long period of time.

So in that case only for frame we can use Carbon fiber and then use Metal for shaft? Looks like I might be able to cut the weight by 30-40% max if I use Carbon frame.

As I indicated, you still need something like a cylinder of thick magnetic material (e.g., steel ) inside the frame to bolt the poles to and provide them with a complete magnetic path.

I'd say the steel case also affords magnetic shielding. Without a complete shield, the rapidly rotating fields would generate interference outside the case, causing things to vibrate and inducing nuisance voltages.

What is the difference between a wooden and metal frame/shaft for a DC motor?

The main difference between a wooden and metal frame/shaft for a DC motor is the material they are made of. Wooden frames and shafts are typically made of a lightweight and inexpensive material, such as pine or balsa wood. Metal frames and shafts, on the other hand, are typically made of a stronger and more durable material, such as steel or aluminum. This can affect the overall performance and durability of the motor.

Which type of frame/shaft is better for a DC motor?

The answer to this question depends on the specific needs and purposes of the motor. Wooden frames and shafts are often preferred for smaller and less powerful motors, as they are lighter and less expensive. Metal frames and shafts, on the other hand, are better suited for larger and more powerful motors, as they provide greater strength and durability. Ultimately, the best choice will depend on the specific requirements and budget of the project.

How do the materials of the frame/shaft affect the performance of a DC motor?

The materials used for the frame and shaft of a DC motor can have a significant impact on its performance. Wooden frames and shafts may be more prone to warping or breaking, which can affect the smoothness of the motor's rotation. Metal frames and shafts, on the other hand, provide greater stability and strength, resulting in smoother and more reliable performance.

Are there any safety considerations when choosing between a wooden or metal frame/shaft for a DC motor?

Both wooden and metal frames and shafts can be safe options for a DC motor, as long as they are properly designed and maintained. However, wooden frames and shafts may be more prone to wear and tear over time, which could potentially affect the safety of the motor. It is important to regularly inspect and maintain the motor, regardless of the type of frame and shaft used.

What factors should be considered when deciding between a wooden or metal frame/shaft for a DC motor?

When choosing between a wooden or metal frame and shaft for a DC motor, there are several factors to consider. These include the size and power requirements of the motor, the desired level of durability, the budget for the project, and any specific safety considerations. It is also important to consider the design and materials of other components of the motor, such as the rotor and stator, to ensure compatibility and optimal performance.