Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dc to ac inverter circuit debug please

1. Jul 26, 2011 #1
    Hello I am a EE student and was wondering if any one had some suggestions on how to fix my inverter it's for a capstone project we are using a twelve volt battery and trying to get 120vac 60Hzs we can get 59Hzs from the curcuit intill it goes in to the transformer then it changes to 177Hzs and ideas. and yes i am well aware of the dangers we need just enough amps and watts to run a light bulb. thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2011 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

Well, the power to run a 120Vrms lightbulb can be plenty dangerous. Do you have a faculty advisor who is overseeing this project?

Can you post a schematic of your circuit and system? We will probably need to see that to be of any help.

4. Jul 27, 2011 #3
    dc to ac inverter debug

I'm building a 12v inverter. I can get 60Hzs on the circuit in-till it goes through the transformer it changes to 177Hzs does any body have any ideas here is the circuit I'm using

C1, C2 2 68 uf, 25 V Tantalum Capacitor
    R1, R2 2 10 Ohm, 5 Watt Resistor
    R3, R4 2 180 Ohm, 1 Watt Resistor
    D1, D2 2 HEP 154 Silicon Diode
    Q1, Q2 2 2N3055 NPN Transistor (see "Notes")
    T1 1 24V, Center Tapped Transformer

Attached Files:

5. Jul 27, 2011 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Re: dc to ac inverter debug

How are you measuring the waveforms on primary and secondary? Can you post screenshots of the waveforms?

6. Jul 27, 2011 #5

uart

Science Advisor

Re: dc to ac inverter debug

There's a lot of third harmonic in a square wave. It sounds like you're getting a peaky 3rd harmonic response out of that transformer. If you're testing it open circuit then try adding some resistive load (like your light bulb) and see if that dampens it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook