What DC voltage and current recharge an 8.8 kWh Chevy Volt battery in 15 minutes?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jesricha
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Amps Dc Volts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
jesricha
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The fastest, most powerful Class III battery charger available is supposed to recharge 8.8 kWh into a Chevy Volt battery pack in 15 minutes. What is the most likely combination of DC volts and amps to do this and why?

Homework Equations



W=VxI (I = amps)
a 120 V unit can do 12 I in 6 hours

The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
If I remember correctly, P = IV (not the work, but the rate of work -- power). That would mean that you would have 8.8 [kWh]/15 [min] = I*V (be sure to convert the units appropriately). For DC circuits, I would assume the most likely condition would be the one with an appropriately large V/I ratio (more voltage and less current would imply less power loss from resistance).