DDWFTTW Turntable Test: 5 Min Video - Is It Conclusive?

In summary, this turntable and cart seem to be able to move faster than the wind, but it's not conclusive proof of DDWFTTW. There are some possible explanations for the effect, including lift.
swerdna
I have built a turntable and “cart” to test the claim of being able to travel directly downwind faster than the wind using only the immediate force of the wind. Here is a video of the test. The turntable is level but looks like it’s on an angle because of the camera angle. The cart ran against the motion of the turntable for over 5 minutes without loosing any speed. Is this conclusive proof of DDWFTTW?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm new here, so I'm not crazy enough to get involved in this debate, but I would like to say that's a pretty cool turntable. Nice job!

swerdna said:
I have built a turntable and “cart” to test the claim of being able to travel directly downwind faster than the wind using only the immediate force of the wind. Here is a video of the test. The turntable is level but looks like it’s on an angle because of the camera angle. The cart ran against the motion of the turntable for over 5 minutes without loosing any speed. Is this conclusive proof of DDWFTTW?

First of all, interesting design.

I do not see how the fact that the cart ran against the motion of the turntable is a definite proof that DDWFTTW (Downwind Faster than the Wind) exists. Rather, if you can prove that the cart speeds up with respect to the motion of the turntable, then maybe you have a case. Of course, there might be something that I am missing.

In addition, you have not taken into consideration of the possible lift within the device. IF the cart is speeding up, it is completely possible to be an effect of lift rather than some "additional speed".

Personally, I do not think DDWFTW is true, because it contradicts the conservation principles and suggest a perceptual motion machine. But then again, I am only a high school student. My personal belief is that the effect of DDWFTW comes from lift, after all, the birds had been doing it for centuries.

Triple_D said:
I'm new here, so I'm not crazy enough to get involved in this debate, but I would like to say that's a pretty cool turntable. Nice job!
Thanks. It was fun to build.

Hunterbender said:
First of all, interesting design.

I do not see how the fact that the cart ran against the motion of the turntable is a definite proof that DDWFTTW (Downwind Faster than the Wind) exists. Rather, if you can prove that the cart speeds up with respect to the motion of the turntable, then maybe you have a case. Of course, there might be something that I am missing.

In addition, you have not taken into consideration of the possible lift within the device. IF the cart is speeding up, it is completely possible to be an effect of lift rather than some "additional speed".

Personally, I do not think DDWFTW is true, because it contradicts the conservation principles and suggest a perceptual motion machine. But then again, I am only a high school student. My personal belief is that the effect of DDWFTW comes from lift, after all, the birds had been doing it for centuries.
Unlike all other moving surface DDWFTTW tests I’ve seen this cart is not held against the moving surface to gain propeller thrust. This cart moves freely on the surface and only gets it’s propeller thrust from the wind created when it moves through the still air with the turntable.

Not sure what you mean by “lift”. Can you explain in more detail?

Seems to do the “impossible” to me as well. But as anyone can plainly see, it does it! I like your typo (or humour) “perceptual motion”. It seems to be being continuously positively geared from the speed of the wind and doesn’t have to represent perpetual motion or free energy.

swerdna said:
Unlike all other moving surface DDWFTTW tests I’ve seen this cart is not held against the moving surface to gain propeller thrust. This cart moves freely on the surface and only gets it’s propeller thrust from the wind created when it moves through the still air with the turntable.

Not sure what you mean by “lift”. Can you explain in more detail?

Seems to do the “impossible” to me as well. But as anyone can plainly see, it does it! I like your typo (or humour) “perceptual motion”. It seems to be being continuously positively geared from the speed of the wind and doesn’t have to represent perpetual motion or free energy.

Hahaha, I was wondering if I should have put LOL next to it. But I guess people got it.

Anyways, here is more about lift
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lift_(force [Broken])
^my personal belief, I don't know if there are any research on its effect on these motion (prob.)

Just wondering, have you seen this setup?

To assimilate actual outside wind conditions as much as possible I have done a test where the cart is held to the turntable with a removable block so the cart initially has to move at the same speed as the turntable. The block is then removed (after about 3 - 4 seconds in video) and the wind then powers the thrust of the propeller to make the cart travel against the motion of the turntable.

Here’s the video -

Hunterbender said:
Hahaha, I was wondering if I should have put LOL next to it. But I guess people got it.

Anyways, here is more about lift
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lift_(force [Broken])
^my personal belief, I don't know if there are any research on its effect on these motion (prob.)

Just wondering, have you seen this setup?

Well the cart doesn’t have a wing. Even if it gets some form of lift from the propeller so what? It still appears to effectively travel downwind faster than the wind. And it does it sustainable, I have now tested the cart speed is constant against the turntable for over 10 minutes.

Yes I’ve seen all the Spork & Co videos on another forum and they are what got me interested in this to begin with.

swerdna said:

I'm not sure what I'm looking at. The table is turned by a motor. What is turning the propeller on the end of the rotating arm?

zoobyshoe said:
I'm not sure what I'm looking at. The table is turned by a motor. What is turning the propeller on the end of the rotating arm?
The wind created by the propeller moving through still air.

ETA - And the wheel rolling against the motion of the turntable surface.

Last edited:
swerdna said:

I watched it three more times. I don't know what this does to your downwind thingy concept, but it's clear that airflow is coming off the spinning table, which is, in effect, a one blade Tesla turbine, dontcha know? I think this airflow is probably turning the propeller. Run the table without the rotating arm and feel anywhere near the periphery of the turntable: you'll feel airflow coming off it. I'm thinking whichever side of the propeller is nearest bottom dead center is getting turned by this air flow while the other one is pulling the propeller forward in the usual way.

Last edited:
swerdna said:

Are you sure it's not the frictional force at the pivot point next to the vice grips causing the motor car to move slower than the turn-table, generating a relative speed which at some point causes the propeller to have enough thrust to propel the little car in the direction opposite that of the table.

I do love these FTTW machines. I always scratch my head for a bit when I see them.
I actually like yours the best. You should build a small model and sell it as a novelty.
You might make a million dollars!

Have you seen the motor car that goes faster than the ruler video? It seems to be somehow related to these FTTW devices.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Yt4zxYuPzI&feature=channel

OmCheeto said:
I actually like yours the best. You should build a small model and sell it as a novelty.

I think if he reconfigured it a bit he could use it for good rather than evil: to prove than an airplane can take off while sitting on a backwards moving conveyor belt.

OmCheeto said:
Are you sure it's not the frictional force at the pivot point next to the vice grips causing the motor car to move slower than the turn-table, generating a relative speed which at some point causes the propeller to have enough thrust to propel the little car in the direction opposite that of the table.

I do love these FTTW machines. I always scratch my head for a bit when I see them.

Have you seen the motor car that goes faster than the ruler video? It seems to be somehow related to these FTTW devices.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Yt4zxYuPzI&feature=channel
I’m not “sure” of anything. I built this turntable and cart thinking that it would more than likely disprove the DDWFTTW claim made by others. It seems to me however that it serves to prove the claims rather than disprove.

I don’t see that friction at the centre pivot is any different than the overall friction of rolling resistance of the cart. Can you explain how slight friction at the pivot point would have any effect that is different than the overall friction of the rolling resistance? In my mind the thrust of the propeller shouldn’t exceed the overall rolling resistance of the cart. But apparently it does!

I like mine best as well (but I might have a slight bias). A million dollars you say! . . . Hmmmm

Think I have seen all (if not most) FTTW videos.

ETA - I can also make the cart "hover" with no (or very little) movement against the centre pivot.

Last edited:
zoobyshoe said:
I think if he reconfigured it a bit he could use it for good rather than evil: to prove than an airplane can take off while sitting on a backwards moving conveyor belt.

With a fast enough belt, we could launch a shuttle all the way to the moon! No more of those toxic solid rockets and explosive hydrogen tanks. Perhaps we could run one up the side of Mt. Everest to give it just the right angle.

It’s a gimmick so there’s got to be a buck in it. Maybe I should have a talk with my Irish friend Pat Pending. Hmmmmm . . . world domination . . . evil it is!

swerdna said:
I’m not “sure” of anything. I built this turntable and cart thinking that it would more than likely disprove the DDWFTTW claim made by others. It seems to me however that it serves to prove the claims rather than disprove.
I'm not even sure what they are trying to prove.
I don’t see that friction at the centre pivot is any different than the overall friction of rolling resistance of the cart.
Why did the cart move slower than the turntable when you started it then?
Think I have seen all (if not most) FTTW videos.

That one was faster than a ruler though. And the maker has a British accent. And he has prequels and sequels. I've watched them all.

OmCheeto said:
I'm not even sure what they are trying to prove.
That it is possible to sustain ably travel directly downwind faster than the wind only using the immediate speed of the wind.
OmCheeto said:
Not just because of friction at the centre pivot but also because of all the friction of the cart and resistance of the still air. Un-tethered three wheel carts can do the same thing.

OmCheeto said:
That one was faster than a ruler though. And the maker has a British accent. And he has prequels and sequels. I've watched them all.

But the demonstration was that ruler = wind.

swerdna said:
That it is possible to sustain ably travel directly downwind faster than the wind only using the immediate speed of the wind.
I've yet to see that.
Not just because of friction at the centre pivot but also because of all the friction of the cart and resistance of the still air. Un-tethered three wheel carts can do the same thing.
Your next model should be on stationary ground with a wind tunnel.
But the demonstration was that ruler = wind.
And the puppets were incredible.

Just because there isn't wings doesn't mean lift doesn't occur. Helicopters, for example, doesn't have wings but they rely on the concept of lift to fly. After all, the cart does have a propeller.

And once again, I don't see how a cart moving against the turntable definitely proof that a sail can go faster than the wind that propels it.

swerdna said:

ETA - And the wheel rolling against the motion of the turntable surface.

Re: your edit, are you saying the wheel is connected to the propeller by a flexishaft?

zoobyshoe said:
Re: your edit, are you saying the wheel is connected to the propeller by a flexishaft?
By a flexible cable.

Wind is air moving relative to something and/or something moving relative to air. If you ride a bike on a calm day you are effectively riding into a headwind. The cart moving with the turntable in calm air is moving in a wind no less than a cart stationary on the ground in an outside wind. It really doesn’t matter how the wind is created. It all boils down to the relative motion of air and something. The turntable surface moving relative to calm air is effectively the same as air moving relative to stationary ground in an outside scenario.

If this proves DDWFTTW, then so does a crankshaft, a right-angle drill, and the hands on a clock. In fact, any machine which redirects motion would be equally a “proof”. Sorry, I don’t see anything revolutionary here, but it is a nice turntable.

I just want to add that it is more than just a “nice turntable”. I can appreciate, as much as anyone, a really nice bit of mechanical workmanship. You obviously put a fair amount of time and effort into this. Many years ago I used to do hub integration design work on large satellite antennas with many precision rotating parts, moving cables and waveguides and it required a lot of mechanical skills as well as electrical work. You would be good at that sort of system integration. Back on topic; No this does not prove DDWFTTW. I think it comes closer to your original goal, which was to disprove it! What it shows is force redirection in mechanical systems is nothing unusual. A cart running on a treadmill, powered by a treadmill is no more unusual than any other type of force redirection, including your turntable. It has little or nothing to do with a cart going directly downwind, powered by nothing but the wind. What is happening here is that the force generated by the turntable against the wheel is greater than the rolling friction, which is obvious or the wheel would not roll! By stepping up the velocity of the turntable, that force can be made great enough to drive a propeller with enough force to also be greater than the rolling friction. That enables the cart to move in the opposite direction as the turntable. Nothing unusual is happening here at all. What I do find interesting about your design is that it leaves open the possibility to test for the runaway condition, or the terminal velocity, which obviously could not be done on the treadmill. Unfortunately, this probably falls under the category of “destructive testing” and I doubt if you want to do this with your new machine! But theoretically, if you increase the turntable velocity enough, the wheel and propeller should try to accelerate until either frictional forces or air turbulence become the only limiting factors. Things would get very interesting as you near the critical terminal velocity!

Some close up pictures of the various components, especially the wheel - prop interface would be nice. What is the wheel diamter and prop pitch? (The advance ratio is effective prop pitch / wheel circumference).

schroder said:
A cart running on a treadmill, powered by a treadmill is no more unusual than any other type of force redirection, including your turntable. It has little or nothing to do with a cart going directly downwind, powered by nothing but the wind. What is happening here is that the force generated by the turntable against the wheel is greater than the rolling friction, which is obvious or the wheel would not roll! By stepping up the velocity of the turntable, that force can be made great enough to drive a propeller with enough force to also be greater than the rolling friction. That enables the cart to move in the opposite direction as the turntable.
I don't understand your point here. You have a set of forces. Aerodynamic drag and rolling resistance exert a backwards force, while air accelerated by the propeller exerts a forward force. Equilibrium is occurring with the cart advancing against the motion of the turntable. Using the cart as a frame of reference, which way are the ground (turntable) and surrounding air moving relative to the cart?

OmCheeto said:
Inertia. The turntable initially accelerates faster than the cart and the attached arm. Eventually sufficient speed differential between the turntable and the (virtually) non-moving air allow the prop to generate enough thrust to decelerate the backwards movement, continuing to accelerate until it reaches it's terminal forwards velocity for a given turntable speed.

Last edited:
swerdna, whatever you have, it's a real brain teaser. Is the propeller driving the wheels, or are the wheels driving the propeller?

I have a suggestion to make to discover which way it is. Break the torsion shaft or cable in a convenient place and insert a piece of pliable rubber material. How the material twists will determine which is driving which. You will need to put some lengthwise stripes on it to tell which way it twists. And take closeup pics of it at rest and in action!

Phrak said:
Is the propeller driving the wheels, or are the wheels driving the propeller?
The wheel is driving the propeller. The thrust speed from the propeller is slower than the speed of the wheel. We've been calling (effective thrust speed / wheel speed) advance ratio, and it needs to be < 1 for a downwind cart, > 1 for an upwind cart.

Jeff Reid said:
I don't understand your point here. You have a set of forces. Aerodynamic drag and rolling resistance exert a backwards force, while air accelerated by the propeller exerts a forward force. Equilibrium is occurring with the cart advancing against the motion of the turntable. Using the cart as a frame of reference, which way are the ground (turntable) and surrounding air moving relative to the cart?

Well then I will try and clarify my point: In this video, we see the turntable turning in the CW direction, looking from the top. Initially, due to a combination of inertia, static resistance between the wheel and the table and resistance at the pivot point of the support arm, the wheel is caused to move in the same direction as the table. But the wheel is not static on the table; it is turning due to the rolling interface and is going anti-clockwise, as viewed from the center of the table. The wheel is driving the propeller via a flexible drive shaft, and the propeller is turning anti-clockwise as viewed when it is on the left side of the table. I have looked at the pitch under magnification and have determined that the pitch is such which will result in a propeller force into the stationary air which will drive the cart in the opposite direction the turntable is moving. This is evident at approximately 13 seconds into the video, when the propeller thrust is finally sufficient to overcome the drag forces and the cart begins to move in the opposite direction as the table. It is acting as a propeller, driven by the wheel and NOT as a turbine driven by any apparent wind generated by moving CW on the table. This is a most important point! All the energy is being provided by the turntable to the wheel, which transfers some of that energy to the prop which then provides the force to drive the cart in the opposite direction on the table. This actually increases the energy at the wheel, because the relative velocity between the cart and the table has increased. There is absolutely nothing out of the ordinary happening here and such force reversals are occurring in countless machines everywhere in the world.
Now, to try and extrapolate what is happening here, to a DDWFTTW situation is not valid. First of all, you should disconnect the flexishaft between the wheel and the propeller, and run the exact same experiment again. This will simulate the same cart in a wind environment, with the wind coming from the rear and trying to drive the cart ddw. The wheel will only serve as a drag in this case and not provide any drive force. I confidently predict that the cart will be dragged along with the table in a CW direction until the apparent wind generated is sufficient to turn the propeller. However, with the given pitch of the prop, the wind will turn the propeller in the opposite direction that we see in the video! It can not do anything else! With the propeller, actually windmill, now turning in the opposite way, in order for the cart to advance downwind the flexishaft would need to be connected through a gear reversal in order to drive the wheels in the same direction as before. This should be done. NOW you would have a true configuration which can be compared with a DDW situation. But when you run the test in this configuration, you will soon find that the cart can never advance against the turntable! You cannot mix and match reference frames in order to get the result you want to see. The cart on the table must be configured exactly the same as the cart in the wind. No changes are allowed or you totally invalidate any correlation between reference frames. I hope you now understand my point.

Jeff Reid said:
The wheel is driving the propeller. The thrust speed from the propeller is slower than the speed of the wheel. We've been calling (effective thrust speed / wheel speed) advance ratio, and it needs to be < 1 for a downwind cart, > 1 for an upwind cart.

What are thrust speed and advance ratio?

swerdna said:
By a flexible cable.

So, to be perfectly clear: there is always a direct causal link between the rotation of the propeller and the rotation of the wheel? Turing either one in either direction always causes the other to turn?

Thinks for the replies. This cart was only meant to be a prototype but it worked so well I though I would publish the results. The cart I was going to build (and still might) would have two identical carts directly opposite each other and sharing the same tether. The whole weight would be on the two wheels and no weight on the centre pivot. This design would be very balanced and would reduce and negative effects from such things as the turntable not being perfectly level and centre pivot friction.

I’m just a backyard inventor so don’t tend to get too technical. But here are a few basic specs . . .

The wheel is 8.5cm diameter
The circle traveled by the wheel is 120cm diameter
The prop is 12 x 6 slow air
Shafts run on roller bearings that have been washed of grease
Cable is from my son's BMX brake system
Hose clamps are optional

Here’s a mug shot . . .

cheetah.jpg

zoobyshoe said:
So, to be perfectly clear: there is always a direct causal link between the rotation of the propeller and the rotation of the wheel? Turing either one in either direction always causes the other to turn?
Yes.

swerdna said:
Yes.

Thanks. It's also more obvious in the nice close-up shot. The workmanship does look excellent, incidentally.

I take it the diameter of the table is 48 inches. What is the diameter of the hole in its center? The table is mounted on a bicycle wheel, is that correct?

zoobyshoe said:
Thanks. It's also more obvious in the nice close-up shot. The workmanship does look excellent, incidentally.

I take it the diameter of the table is 48 inches. What is the diameter of the hole in its center? The table is mounted on a bicycle wheel, is that correct?
Centre hole is 22.5 inches and table diameter is 48inches.

Yes it is simply attached to a bicycle wheel. Thanks but I don’t think hose clips qualify as “excellent workmanship”.

The shafts are threaded rod and the cable is attached to their ends by cutting a thin slot down their diameter, spreading the two halves apart, inserting the cable end then and then closing the slot by winding a nut up the thread to squeeze the cable (my son’s idea).

<h2>1. What is the DDWFTTW Turntable Test?</h2><p>The DDWFTTW Turntable Test is a scientific experiment that aims to test the validity of the controversial "Double-Dark Warp Field Theory" proposed by physicist Harold White. It involves spinning a turntable at high speeds while measuring the weight of an object placed on it, in an attempt to detect any changes in weight that could indicate a warp field.</p><h2>2. What is the purpose of the 5-minute video?</h2><p>The 5-minute video is a condensed version of the full DDWFTTW Turntable Test, which can last up to 3 hours. It is meant to provide a quick overview of the experiment and its results, making it more accessible to a wider audience.</p><h2>3. Is the 5-minute video conclusive?</h2><p>The 5-minute video is not meant to be a conclusive proof of the Double-Dark Warp Field Theory. It is simply a demonstration of the experiment and its findings, which can then be further analyzed and studied by the scientific community.</p><h2>4. What were the results of the DDWFTTW Turntable Test?</h2><p>The results of the DDWFTTW Turntable Test showed a small but consistent decrease in the weight of the object placed on the spinning turntable. While this could potentially be attributed to a warp field, further research and testing is needed to confirm this hypothesis.</p><h2>5. What are the implications of the DDWFTTW Turntable Test?</h2><p>If the results of the DDWFTTW Turntable Test are confirmed by further experiments, it could have significant implications for our understanding of space-time and the possibility of faster-than-light travel. It could also potentially lead to new technologies and advancements in space exploration.</p>

1. What is the DDWFTTW Turntable Test?

The DDWFTTW Turntable Test is a scientific experiment that aims to test the validity of the controversial "Double-Dark Warp Field Theory" proposed by physicist Harold White. It involves spinning a turntable at high speeds while measuring the weight of an object placed on it, in an attempt to detect any changes in weight that could indicate a warp field.

2. What is the purpose of the 5-minute video?

The 5-minute video is a condensed version of the full DDWFTTW Turntable Test, which can last up to 3 hours. It is meant to provide a quick overview of the experiment and its results, making it more accessible to a wider audience.

3. Is the 5-minute video conclusive?

The 5-minute video is not meant to be a conclusive proof of the Double-Dark Warp Field Theory. It is simply a demonstration of the experiment and its findings, which can then be further analyzed and studied by the scientific community.

4. What were the results of the DDWFTTW Turntable Test?

The results of the DDWFTTW Turntable Test showed a small but consistent decrease in the weight of the object placed on the spinning turntable. While this could potentially be attributed to a warp field, further research and testing is needed to confirm this hypothesis.

5. What are the implications of the DDWFTTW Turntable Test?

If the results of the DDWFTTW Turntable Test are confirmed by further experiments, it could have significant implications for our understanding of space-time and the possibility of faster-than-light travel. It could also potentially lead to new technologies and advancements in space exploration.