What Medium Do De Broglie Waves Propagate Through?

In summary, the De Broglie wave, which is equivalent to a light wave in terms of traveling through spacetime, does not necessarily propagate through a medium in the traditional sense. Its wave function indicates the probabilities of the particle being in a given position in space and time, rather than in a physical matter. This can be observed through electron diffraction patterns, similar to how light diffraction proves its wave nature. However, this wave function does not necessarily imply an unseen or unobservable medium that it travels through.
unchained1978
In the same sense that sound waves propagate through air, water waves through water, light through spacetime, what medium does the de broglie wave propagate through? Also, how could one detect such a disturbance in this medium without measuring the particle itself? (i.e. you can see the wake of a ship without actually seeing the ship, you can see a beam of light from a laser without looking at the source.. etc.)

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure whether i understood your question well or not but i am not a pro either, so.
De Broglie wave is the same as a light wave when you take the light as a system of photons traveling through spacetime. The only difference is that photons has no mass.

Correct me if i am wrong but the "proof" for a wave can be stated according to the following premise: "If you have a diffraction pattern, then there is a wave associated with it." So you can prove yourself that the light is a wave(also a particle though), looking at the single/multiple slit diffraction patterns. You can use the same method for electrons (since they have mass and particle-waves which we call de broglie waves). You can google "electron diffraction" for details. The idea is no different from the diffraction of photons. A bunch of electrons are guided through a sample (a well prepared lattice usually) in a vacuum tube then they crash to the phosphorous screen transferring their energy to the phosphorous material and letting it to emit photons (in other words "shine"). Thus we see a diffraction pattern of electrons without directly looking at them.

Excuse me if this wasn't the answer you are looking for. Any corrections would be appreciated as well.

So does that mean this matter wave propagates through Spacetime just as light does? Or does that imply that there is an unseen or unobservable medium that it "waves" through?

I think that it does not propagate through a medium in the way we think of it. The wave function of the particle is used to indicate the probabilities of the particle being in a given position throughout the space and time, not necessarily in a matter. But then i should repeat again, i don't have any valuable knowledge of the subject, just telling my opinions.

this may or may not help:

http://www.thescienceforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=292296

Last edited by a moderator:

What is De Broglie wave propagation?

De Broglie wave propagation is a concept in quantum mechanics that describes the behavior of particles as both wave-like and particle-like. It was proposed by physicist Louis de Broglie in the 1920s and is based on the idea that all particles have a wave-like nature.

What is the relationship between De Broglie wavelength and momentum?

The De Broglie wavelength is inversely proportional to the momentum of a particle. This means that as the momentum increases, the wavelength decreases. This relationship is described by the De Broglie equation: λ = h/mv, where λ is the wavelength, h is Planck's constant, m is the mass of the particle, and v is its velocity.

What is the significance of De Broglie wave propagation in quantum mechanics?

De Broglie wave propagation is an important concept in quantum mechanics as it helps explain the wave-particle duality of particles. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles in quantum systems, such as in the double-slit experiment.

How does De Broglie wave propagation differ from classical wave propagation?

In classical wave propagation, waves are described by continuous functions, while in De Broglie wave propagation, the waves are associated with discrete particles. Additionally, classical waves do not exhibit particle-like behavior, whereas De Broglie waves do.

What are some practical applications of De Broglie wave propagation?

De Broglie wave propagation has been applied in various fields, such as electron microscopy, where the wave-like behavior of electrons is used to create high-resolution images. It is also used in particle accelerators to study the behavior of particles at high energies. Additionally, it has implications in quantum computing and communications.