DE Chemical Combinations

In summary: The equilibrium is all towards C because there is no mention of back reaction in the kinetic laws given. 50 grams of A reacting in a 2:3 ratio with B will after a long time give you 125 grams of C leaving 0 A and 5 grams of B.
Dustinsfl
Two chemicals, A and B, are combined, forming chemical C. The rate of the reaction is jointly proportional to the amounts of A and B not yet converted to C. Initially, there are 50 grams of A and 80 grams of B, and, during the reaction, for each two grams of A used up in the conversion, there are three grams of B used up. An experiment shows that 100 grams of C are produced in the first 10 minutes. After a long period of time, how much of A and B remains, and how much of C has been reproduced?

dx/dt = k*(50-[tex]\frac{2}{5}[/tex]*x)*(80-[tex]\frac{3}{5}[/tex]*x)

After separation and solving for partial fractions, I obtain:

[tex]\int\frac{1}{10-2*x}[/tex] - [tex]\frac{3}{2}[/tex][tex]\int\frac{1}{16-3*x}[/tex] = k*t+c

Which then yields:

[tex]\frac{16-3*x}{10-2*x}[/tex] = C*e[tex]^{2*k*t}[/tex]

C=8/5

k=[tex]\frac{ln(71/76)}{20}[/tex]

However, something is wrong with my final equation solved for x(t) due to x(0) doesn't = 0 and x(10) doesn't = 100.

Physics news on Phys.org
x is the amount of chemical C, right? I think you making more than one mistake. You've got a (50-2x/5) going in and a (10-2*x) coming out in the partial fractions. Those aren't proportional to each other. (50-2x/5)=(250-2x)/5=(125-x)*(2/5).

You might as well get that sorted out, but an odd or trick question it seems to me, with superfluous information. Are you sure it is about kinetics despite the kinetic info in it? :confused: The equlibibrium is all towards product since there is no mention of back reaction in the kinetic laws given. 50g of A reacting in a 2:3 ratio with B will after a long time give you 125g of C leaving 0 A and 5g of B it seems to me.

epenguin said:
You might as well get that sorted out, but an odd or trick question it seems to me, with superfluous information. Are you sure it is about kinetics despite the kinetic info in it? :confused: The equlibibrium is all towards product since there is no mention of back reaction in the kinetic laws given. 50g of A reacting in a 2:3 ratio with B will after a long time give you 125g of C leaving 0 A and 5g of B it seems to me.

Good point. I wasn't taking the long view.

What is a "DE Chemical Combination"?

A "DE Chemical Combination" refers to a combination of multiple chemicals, often used in experiments or research, that are used together to produce a desired effect or result.

Why are "DE Chemical Combinations" important in scientific research?

"DE Chemical Combinations" are important in scientific research because they allow scientists to manipulate and study different chemical reactions and their effects. This can lead to a better understanding of chemical processes and the development of new products or technologies.

What safety precautions should be taken when using "DE Chemical Combinations"?

When using "DE Chemical Combinations", it is important to follow proper safety protocols, such as wearing protective gear and working in a well-ventilated area. It is also important to carefully handle and store the chemicals, as some may be hazardous if not used properly.

How do scientists determine the best "DE Chemical Combinations" for their experiments?

Scientists often conduct extensive research and experimentation to determine the best "DE Chemical Combinations" for their specific goals. This may involve testing different combinations and observing their effects, as well as consulting existing literature and collaborating with other experts in the field.

What are some examples of "DE Chemical Combinations" used in scientific research?

Some examples of "DE Chemical Combinations" used in scientific research include mixtures of acids and bases to create chemical reactions, combinations of enzymes and substrates to study biological processes, and mixtures of different metals to create new alloys with unique properties.