Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dealing with angular momentum of rigid bodies

1. Jun 6, 2012 #1
    I'm taking dynamics of rigid bodies, I'm having some trouble with impulse and momentum.
    Basically ,I know that angular momentum abt. a point ,is the linear momentum multilied by the moment arm .
    BUT ,I'm not feeling at all comfortable appliying it
    For example , When is H abt. a pt. p = (moment of intertia abt. p )(w) and when is it m*V*d ,and when is it Ig*w +mVg *(d) ,i'm very confused about the whole thing and when to apply what so any clarification on the subject would be very helpfull , preferably I would like the most general case stated and explained,than when to cancel out terms and why to get to more specific cases .....
    ANY clarification/comment can be helpfull
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2012 #2
    I think your question is not being answered because it's pretty broad....I'm not even sure where to start to assist.

I'd suggest you read a first year physics book on rotational kinematics, linear and angular relations,rotational variables, stuff like that...

If you understand F = ma for translational motion, you can start by figuring out the rotational analogies: Torque [T} becomes the analogy of force [F] and rotational inertia becomes the analogy of mass. The lattter gets a bit tricky because the distribution of mass relative to the axis of rotation is important. And acceleration [a] becomes angular acceleration, alpha.

So for example, instead of kinetic energy being 1/2mv2 the rotational
    analog is 1/2Iw2 where m is replaced by I and v = wr. I has different values for different shapes, even when the total mass is the same.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook