News Death Penalty for cut and dried cases?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date

DaveC426913

Gold Member
I'm not denying they were part of society, I'm simply saying that they don't deserve to be.
They are a product of society. We cannot retroactively decide they were born on the Moon.

Yes, we can isolate them from innocent people, but killing them is killing ourselves.
I disagree, this thread is about giving the death sentence to 'cut and dried cases'. As such, it is important we look at the alternatives to doing so..
Before concerning ourselves with the economics and cost-efficiency of doing so, we should first determijne if it is the Right thing to do at all. This thread, in asking its question makes too big an assumption.

alt

Gold Member
They are a product of society. We cannot retroactively decide they were born on the Moon.
That's a very important point. Society IS what it is, ie, everything in it - from the best to the worst - the fraudsters, the dope pedlers, the rapists, the child molesters, the violent murderers ..

To isolate the worst and call them 'out of society' doesn't make much sense.

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Did you leave out deterrence intentionally?
Actually no. I was thinking of "after the fact" and "regarding the perpetrator." So add
"As a lesson to others" to my list. And I do think that is a valid point; but as been noted, It is arguable as to whether or not it is effective as such (We have the paradoxical case of not being able to show proof of an event that didn't happen). I can't make a call on either side (I'm a GD moderate!).

By the way, I would not lose a moment's peace if the Cheshire invasion duo received the death penalty, although I do think they should sit in a tiny cell with nothing but the images of their victims visible through their tiny bars.

Char. Limit

Gold Member
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/05/27/2256398.htm

.. and theres another one. How would you feel going to the gallows innocent ?
If you must know, after seeing such a miscarriage of justice (for I would see it that way, if I were in that position), I'd try to see how many people I could take with me.

But I'm not entirely sane, I think. I especially wouldn't be entirely sane after sitting through that, and knowing what's ahead in my life.

Evo

Mentor
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/05/27/2256398.htm

.. and theres another one. How would you feel going to the gallows innocent ?
From 1922? Things have really changed since then. Should we go back through history and list all people wrongfully killed? Let's keep this about "current" events, please.

Also, that case wouldn't be applicable to the topic even if it happened today because it's only circumstantial evidence, this thread doesn't consider circumstantial evidence for the death penalty.

Last edited:
If you must know, after seeing such a miscarriage of justice (for I would see it that way, if I were in that position), I'd try to see how many people I could take with me.

But I'm not entirely sane, I think. I especially wouldn't be entirely sane after sitting through that, and knowing what's ahead in my life.
I agree, if their gonna convict me of something I might as well go do something worth the conviction.

Sentenced to death and no chance to get out of it? Kill a few guards and a postman.

Char. Limit

Gold Member
I agree, if their gonna convict me of something I might as well go do something worth the conviction.

Sentenced to death and no chance to get out of it? Kill a few guards and a postman.
Exactly. QFT.

Evo

Mentor

Exactly. QFT.
You would randomly kill innocent people?

This thead couldn't dig itself any lower.

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving

Hot Threads