1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Decaying E-Field

1. Mar 22, 2006 #1
    We are asked to show that we can have a "spatially uniform E-field" in a conductor according to E=Eo*exp(-t/tau) where tau=ErEo/sigma

where Er is the relative permittivity and sigma is the conductivity. I know we need to use curl(H) = ErEo*dE/dt + sigma*E
    and for some reason we say that curl H is equal to zero. then we get a simple ODE to solve. I'm having trouble coming up with a geometrical argument for why curl(H) = zero. any hints appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2006 #2

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If the electric field is spatially uniform, what does the [tex] \nabla \times E = - \frac{\partial B}{\partial t} [/tex] equation imply about [tex] B [/tex] and [tex] H [/tex]?

4. Mar 22, 2006 #3
    I'm not too sure about the meaning of "spatially uniform". If we just assume that E=E(t) and let it be in say the x direction then we can show that curl(E) has no x components, and the rest of the problem works out. But surely a wave has to have some spatial dependence e.g E = E(z,t)?

5. Mar 22, 2006 #4

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nope, spatially uniform means independent of position. Indeed, as you show here, spatially uniform solutions do exist though of course they are ultimately unphysical.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?