Decaying signal resonator power

In summary: When you measure the reflected power of a resonator, you should use a spectrum analyzer that has the capability to remove the reflected interrogation pulse.
lukacsmw
I am measuring the reflected power of a resonator for potential wireless applications. I'm pulsing the resonator with a 10.64GHz (resonate freq) pulsed waveform (10ns pulse width, 200ns period). Use an oscilloscope, it's easy to see the reflected pulse - with a maximum voltage just after the 10ns incident pulse. I've gated out the incident pulse and performed an FFT in Matlab to determine the power of the return pulse. The problem is that the power very much depends on the windowing of my FFT. As I enlarge the window, the power decreases by as much as 3-5dBm. From a practical perspective, what would be the best way to determine the reflected power of the signal?

I thought about taking an FFT using ever decreasing windowing, plotting the data and determining an intercept which would be the theoretical maximum power output - but I don't see that being very practical.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
From a practical perspective, what would be the best way to determine the reflected power of the signal?

Connect a directional coupler in reverse, and monitor the reflected power with a power meter, or a spectrum analyzer.

Or do a sweep with a network analyzer.

I thought about the directional coupler in reverse. I'm actually using a circulator - but it accomplishes the same thing. The problem is that my reflected pulse contains both the resonator response and the reflected interrogation pulse. The resonator only absorbs about 4-5dB at the resonate frequency, so I'm still receiving a return interrogation pulse. The spectrum Analyzers I'm familiar with do not have the capability to remove that reflected pulse and determine the power of just the resonate response.

When I try to do so with an oscilloscope using the gating function to isolate only the resonate response, then I have the issue describe above where the power level drops as I enlarge the gating window to encompass more of the response.

What kind of window are you using?
Somewhere at work I have a long review article about various windowing functions, when to use which window etc, if you want I can try to find it on Monday.

The article on windowing functions sounds great - if you can find that article that would be greatly appreciated. I've implemented the window two ways, first using the mathematical gating function of my DPO7000 series oscilloscope, second just dumping the data into MATLAB and deleted the data points outside the window.

Both result in the same problem that the magnitude of the spectral response decreases as the windowing increases - meaning that I don't have a reliable, repeatable measure of the reflected power. I'm going to be taking several dozen measurements of some new resonator designs, and I need a repeatable methodology for reflected power.

Thanks!

1. What is a decaying signal resonator power?

A decaying signal resonator power refers to the rate at which the power of a signal decreases over time as it passes through a resonator. This is typically measured in decibels (dB) and is affected by factors such as the quality and design of the resonator.

2. How does a decaying signal resonator power affect signal transmission?

The decaying signal resonator power can greatly impact the strength and clarity of a signal as it travels through a resonator. If the power decays too quickly, the signal may become weak and distorted, making it difficult to receive or decipher.

3. What factors can affect the decaying signal resonator power?

The quality and design of the resonator itself can greatly impact the decaying signal resonator power. Other factors that can affect it include external interference, temperature changes, and the properties of the materials used in the resonator.

4. How can the decaying signal resonator power be measured?

The decaying signal resonator power can be measured using specialized equipment such as a spectrum analyzer. This device can analyze the power of a signal at different frequencies and display the results in a graph or table.

5. What can be done to improve the decaying signal resonator power?

To improve the decaying signal resonator power, one can use high-quality resonators with designs that minimize signal loss. Additionally, using shielding and proper grounding techniques can help reduce external interference that can affect the power of the signal.