Decelerating warp drives: How to detect them?

• Thread starter Smattering
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Warp
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of decelerating warp drives emitting radiation and what types of astronomical observations could potentially be seen in a universe where they are possible. The most plausible observation would be a sudden burst of light, potentially accompanied by gamma or X-ray bursts, but it may only be visible along a narrow cone. There is also speculation about how prewarp cultures may detect these arrivals and the potential danger of radiation from decelerating warp drives.
Smattering
Hello everybody,

A few years ago, there were speculations in the pop science media that decelerating warp drives might emit huge amounts of radiation at the target location.

Now, let's assume a universe where warp drives really work: I was thinking about a plot where astronomers in such a universe make some observations, and it turns out that these observations are actually decelerating warp drives.

In such a universe, what would be plausible candidates for astronomic observations that could turn out as decelerating warp drives? Could it be just an "ordinary" gamma ray burst or would we expect some other kind of observation in such a scenario?Robert

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the most plausible observation to be seen would be that there's a sudden burst of light, as the image of the ship suddenly appears with a blue-shifted after-image diverging away from it back along it's former approach path--this could have some gamma or Xray burst accompanying it, depending on the nature of the FTL drive used.

But such image might only be visible along a very narrow cone pointing away from the direction of the ship's approach--which may make it difficult for a prewarp culture to detect such arrivals. Perhaps it is detected first by their versions of Voyager/Pioneer or such?

Ryuu said:
I think the most plausible observation to be seen would be that there's a sudden burst of light, as the image of the ship suddenly appears

I was assuming that the observers cannot actually see the "image of the ship", because the warp drive deceleration takes place too far away from them, or the ship is simply too small, but still they might be able to observe something unsual. Because if this deceleration takes place too close to the observers, then I guess they would simply die of radiation.

I would image there would be a flash of extremely high energy gamma ray, however, I don't think it would compare to the power of nature, so it'd be distinguishable from a "normal" GRB.

Related to Decelerating warp drives: How to detect them?

1. How do decelerating warp drives work?

Decelerating warp drives work by manipulating space-time to create a bubble around the spacecraft. This bubble compresses space in front of the vessel and expands it behind, allowing the craft to travel faster than the speed of light. To decelerate, the process is reversed, with the bubble expanding in front and compressing behind.

2. How can we detect decelerating warp drives?

Detecting decelerating warp drives is a complex task, as they are designed to be undetectable. However, there are a few potential methods that could be used, such as gravitational lensing, detecting disturbances in space-time, or looking for anomalies in the surrounding environment.

3. What are the potential dangers of decelerating warp drives?

The main danger of decelerating warp drives is the potential disruption of space-time. The rapid changes in space-time caused by the drives could have unintended consequences, such as creating black holes or wormholes, which could be dangerous for both the spacecraft and the surrounding environment.

4. Are there any laws or regulations surrounding the use of decelerating warp drives?

Currently, there are no laws or regulations specifically addressing the use of decelerating warp drives. However, as the technology develops, it is likely that regulations will be put in place to ensure the safe and responsible use of this technology.

5. Can decelerating warp drives be used for space travel?

Yes, decelerating warp drives have the potential to greatly reduce travel time in space. However, the technology is still in its early stages and many technical challenges need to be addressed before it can be used for practical space travel.