Deceleration rate with studded snow tires

In summary, when braking with studded tires on a powdery surface, the car will decelerate to a stop in about 13 meters.
Heidi Henkel
A car going 25 mph with studded tires on packed powder stops in 20 meters. What will be the stopping distance if it is going 20 mph?
We do not know the mass of the car, but perhaps it is accurate to create an acceleration constant that will apply for other speeds?

a=v/t and v=d/t so therefore by combining these we get a=v^2/d

25mph is 11.176 m/s

deceleration constant: a = (11.176m/s)^2 / 20m = 6.245 m/s^2

OK so this is the deceleration constant for that set of tires on that car on that surface...

then can we apply the deceleration constant to the other question? What will be the stopping distance at 20 mph?

20mph = 8.94 m/s; stopping distance is 12.8m

Is this valid?

Physics news on Phys.org
Or you make a different assumption: the energy dissipated is proportional to the distance covered with the brakes on.

How is that a different assumption? Wouldn't those two models be compatible, except my way of doing it requires less data and is simpler?
I am asking whether my way of calculating it is valid. Do you think it's not valid because of what you are saying? Doesn't seem to me like that would be the case...

Heidi Henkel said:
A car going 25 mph with studded tires on packed powder stops in 20 meters. What will be the stopping distance if it is going 20 mph?
We do not know the mass of the car, but perhaps it is accurate to create an acceleration constant that will apply for other speeds?

a=v/t and v=d/t so therefore by combining these we get a=v^2/d

25mph is 11.176 m/s

deceleration constant: a = (11.176m/s)^2 / 20m = 6.245 m/s^2

OK so this is the deceleration constant for that set of tires on that car on that surface...

then can we apply the deceleration constant to the other question? What will be the stopping distance at 20 mph?

20mph = 8.94 m/s; stopping distance is 12.8m

Is this valid?
No.

v = d/t is valid if v refers to average velocity. Write that as vaverage = d/t .

For uniform (constant) acceleration, it's also true that vaverage = (vinitial + vfinal) / 2 . With your choice of variables, this is vaverage = v/2 .Although it may appear that following PietKuip's suggestion is more complicated, the fact of the matter is that such an approach may be the simplest method.

Last edited:
Sliding friction of snow tires on road does not produce a constant deceleration rate?

If I try Pietkuip's suggestion, what would the equations be? What would the variables be? Would I need to know more information about the car? I could probably get the car's weight by looking up the specs online.

Heidi Henkel said:
Sliding friction of snow tires on road does not produce a constant deceleration rate?

If I try Pietkuip's suggestion, what would the equations be? What would the variables be? Would I need to know more information about the car? I could probably get the car's weight by looking up the specs online.
Yes, it produces constant acceleration. That is what I referred to.
Kinetic Energy is proportional to the square of the speed.

Energy dissipated is proportional to distance covered with the brakes on.

(With this, you don't need to convert any units.)

E=.5mv^2 so .5mv^2 decreases linearly? Since .5 doesn't change and the mass of the car doesn't change, V^2 decreases linearly?

Heidi Henkel said:
E=.5mv^2 so .5mv^2 decreases linearly? Since .5 doesn't change and the mass of the car doesn't change, V^2 decreases linearly?
Linearly with respect to what other quantity?

distance

Heidi Henkel said:
distance
Right.

So ##\displaystyle \ \frac{v_1^2}{v_2^2}=\frac{d_1}{d_2} \ ##

Likes PietKuip
OK so to decelerate from 20mph with the same car and tires and surface it takes about 13 meters and to decelerate from 15mph it takes a little more than 7 meters? Because starting at 25mph, at 13 meters to go, you are going 9m/s which is about 20 mph. Because at 13 meters to go, v^2 is 81.185

ok this makes sense, the equal ratios

Heidi Henkel said:
OK so to decelerate from 20mph with the same car and tires and surface it takes about 13 meters and to decelerate from 15mph it takes a little more than 7 meters? Because starting at 25mph, at 13 meters to go, you are going 9m/s which is about 20 mph. Because at 13 meters to go, v^2 is 81.185
Much of that is good.

Starting at 20 mph it takes about 13 meters to stop (actually 12.8 meters). Therefore, starting at 25 mph, at the 13 meter to go the speed is about 20 mph, since you know it takes about 13 meters to stop when starting at 20 mph.

Heidi Henkel said:
ok this makes sense, the equal ratios
Good !

By the way; Welcome to PF !

1. How do studded snow tires affect deceleration rate?

Studded snow tires can improve deceleration rate on icy or snowy roads by providing better traction and grip. They have metal studs embedded in the tread to dig into the ice or snow, allowing for better braking performance.

2. What is the difference in deceleration rate between studded and non-studded snow tires?

Studies have shown that studded snow tires can improve deceleration rate by up to 40%, compared to non-studded snow tires. This is due to the added traction and grip provided by the metal studs.

3. Are there any downsides to using studded snow tires for deceleration?

While studded snow tires can improve deceleration rate on icy or snowy roads, they can also decrease handling and traction on dry roads. They also tend to be noisier and can cause damage to roads. Therefore, it is recommended to use them only in harsh winter conditions.

4. How often should studded snow tires be replaced for optimal deceleration?

The metal studs on studded snow tires can wear down over time, which can affect their deceleration performance. It is recommended to replace studded snow tires every 2-3 years or when the studs are worn down to 1/16 of an inch.

5. Are studded snow tires legal to use for deceleration?

The legality of studded snow tires for deceleration varies by state and country. Some places have restrictions on when they can be used (e.g. only during winter months) or have banned them altogether. It is important to check local laws and regulations before using studded snow tires for deceleration.