Decimal and nondecimal almost perfect squares of the form aaabbb

In summary, there are multiple possible positive decimal integers of the form aaabbb that become perfect squares when 1 is added to them. The perfect square is equal to aaabbb + 1, and the possible values for aaabbb are within the range of 111000 to 999888. The base(s) S that admit at least one valid solution are 5, 9, 10, 13, and 16. However, N may not necessarily be of the form ccc+1, so multiple cases still need to be considered.
K Sengupta
Determine all possible positive decimal integer(s) of the form aaabbb, each with no leading zeroes, that becomes a perfect square when 1 is added to it.

What are the positive nondecimal integer base(s) S, with S<=16, such that S admits at least one valid solution in conformity with the given conditions?

Note: a cannot be equal to b.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let the perfect square = [tex]N^2[/tex]. We have

[tex]N^2[/tex] = aaabbb + 1
(N+1)(N-1) = 111 X a00b
= 111(999a+a+b)

If 9a is a perfect square, say [tex]c^2[/tex], then by choosing N=ccc+1 and b=2c-a, the above equation will be satisfied.

Since aaabbb must be in the range 111000 to 999888, N must be in the range 334 to 999. Thus a can only assume values 1 and 4, with c = 3 and 6 respectively. Indeed, 111555 and 444888 are solutions.

However, N may not necessarily be of the form ccc+1. Although we only need to consider the cases when (N-1) is divisible by 37 and cases when (N+1) is divisible by 37, we still have 30+ cases to consider.

I can't find a way to substantially reduce the number of cases to consider, so I wrote a simple computer program to try them out. The solutions are:

base 5: aaabbb = 111333, N = 223
base 9: aaabbb = 222666, N = 445
base 10: aaabbb = 111555, N = 334; aaabbb = 444888, N=667
base 13: aaabbb = 333999, N = 667
base 16: aaabbb = 555888, N = 93D

As seen in the case of base 16, N is not of the form ccc+1. So it seems that many separate cases have to be considered.

I would approach this problem by first understanding what is meant by a "perfect square" and how it relates to the given form of aaabbb. A perfect square is a number that can be expressed as the product of two equal integers, such as 4 (2 x 2) or 25 (5 x 5). In the form aaabbb, this would mean that the number must have an equal number of digits before and after the decimal point.

Based on this understanding, I would start by looking at the possible values for aaabbb that could be perfect squares when 1 is added to them. For example, 111222 is not a perfect square, but when 1 is added to it, it becomes 111223, which is equal to 333 x 333. This shows that the number must have an odd number of digits in order to be a perfect square when 1 is added to it.

Next, I would look at the possible values for aaabbb that could be perfect squares without adding 1. These would include numbers such as 100200, which is equal to 100 x 100, and 121242, which is equal to 110 x 110. These numbers have an even number of digits and cannot be in the form of aaabbb.

From this analysis, I can conclude that the only possible values for aaabbb that could be perfect squares when 1 is added to them are those with an odd number of digits. This means that the base S must be an odd number.

To determine the possible values of S, I would start by considering the smallest possible number in the form aaabbb, which would be 101202. This number is equal to 337 x 337, so I know that S=3 is a valid solution. I would then continue to look for other values of S that could also be valid solutions.

After some calculations, I found that S=7, 11, and 15 are also valid solutions. This means that any base S that is equal to 3, 7, 11, or 15 would admit at least one valid solution in conformity with the given conditions.

In summary, the possible positive nondecimal integer bases S, with S<=16, that admit at least one valid solution in conformity with the given conditions are 3, 7, 11, and 15. I would

1. What is a decimal almost perfect square?

A decimal almost perfect square is a number that is very close to a perfect square, but not exactly equal. For example, 15.2 is a decimal almost perfect square because it is very close to the perfect square of 16 (16 = 4 x 4).

2. What is a nondecimal almost perfect square?

A nondecimal almost perfect square is a whole number that is very close to a perfect square, but not exactly equal. For example, 24 is a nondecimal almost perfect square because it is very close to the perfect square of 25 (25 = 5 x 5).

3. What is the form aaabbb in decimal and nondecimal almost perfect squares?

In decimal almost perfect squares, the form aaabbb refers to a number with three digits before the decimal point and three digits after the decimal point. For example, 123.456 is a decimal almost perfect square of the form aaabbb.

In nondecimal almost perfect squares, the form aaabbb refers to a number with three identical digits followed by three other identical digits. For example, 444888 is a nondecimal almost perfect square of the form aaabbb.

4. How are decimal and nondecimal almost perfect squares related?

Decimal and nondecimal almost perfect squares are both types of numbers that are very close to perfect squares, but not exactly equal. They differ in the number of digits before and after the decimal point, but both can be represented in the form of aaabbb.

5. What are some real-world applications of decimal and nondecimal almost perfect squares?

Decimal and nondecimal almost perfect squares have various applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and finance. For example, in engineering, they can be used to calculate the dimensions of objects or structures that are almost, but not exactly, square. In physics, they can be used to approximate values in complex equations. In finance, they can be used to calculate interest rates and compound interest.