Decomposing a 4x4 unitary matrix

In summary: I need to be able to reconstruct V from its determinants.In summary, the decomposition of the matrix into a product of two level matrices can be done by setting ##U_1 = I_n##. If the problem is converted into the 3x3 case, then the matrix can be solved by using a well chosen permutation matrix.
CMJ96

Homework Statement

I want to decompose the following matrix into a product of two level matrices ##V_i##

$$ \begin{bmatrix}
0 & 0 & 1 & 0 \\
0 & \frac{-\sqrt{3}}{2} & 0 & \frac{-1}{2} \\
\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} & \frac{-1}{4} & 0 & \frac{\sqrt{3}}{4} \\
\frac{1}{2} & \frac{\sqrt{3}}{4} & 0 & \frac{-3}{4}
\end{bmatrix} $$

Homework Equations

I have only been given the 3x3 case, which I would like to extend to 4x4, in the 3x3 case the decomposition looks like
$$ U_3 U_2 U_1 U = I_n $$
Where ## I_n ## is the identity matrix.
$$ U= V_1 V_2 V_3 $$
Where ##V_i = U_i ^{\dagger} ##

The Attempt at a Solution

I need to eliminate each entry below the ## u_{i=j} ## terms (if that makes any sense).
Since ## u_{2,1} ## is ##0## I can set ##U_1 = I_n##, for ##u_{3,1}## I start to run into trouble, I know that for a 3x3 matrix I can eliminate this term by setting ##U_2## to
$$ \begin{bmatrix}
\frac{u_{1,1}^*}{n} & 0 & \frac{u_{3,1}^*}{n} \\
0 & 1 & 0 \\
\frac{u_{3,1}^*}{n}& 0 & -\frac{u_{1,1}^*}{n}
\end{bmatrix} $$
Where ##n=\sqrt{u_{1,1}^2 + u_{3,1}^2 } ##
I have attempted to expand this to a 4x4 matrix, and this is what I got
$$ \begin{bmatrix}
\frac{u_{1,1}}{n} & 0 & 0 & \frac{u_{4,1}}{n}\\
0 & 1 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 1 & 0 \\
\frac{u_{4,1}}{n} & 0 & 0 & -\frac{u_{1,1}}{n}
\end{bmatrix} $$
Where ##n= \sqrt{u_{1,1}^2+ u_{4,1}^2 } ##
Is this along the right lines?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd look for simple solutions here... since you know the 3x3 case, what about converting your problem into the 3x3 case?

i.e.

##\text{Original Matrix} = \begin{bmatrix}
0 & 0 & 1 & 0 \\
\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} & \frac{-1}{4} & 0 & \frac{\sqrt{3}}{4} \\
\frac{1}{2} & \frac{\sqrt{3}}{4} & 0 & \frac{-3}{4}
\end{bmatrix} = QP##

where

##Q = \begin{bmatrix}
1 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
0& \frac{-1}{4} & \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} & \frac{\sqrt{3}}{4} \\
0& \frac{\sqrt{3}}{4} & \frac{1}{2} & \frac{-3}{4}
\end{bmatrix} ##

and ##P## is a well chosen permutation matrix. (Note all permutation matrices are orthogonal, which is a special kind of unitary).

This implies that ##Q## is unitary (why?). The reason this setup is nice is that you now have a separable blocked structure that conveniently has a submatrix ## Q_s## which is unitary and 3x3

##Q = \begin{bmatrix}
1 & \mathbf 0^* \\
\mathbf 0 & Q_s\\
\end{bmatrix}##

and hence you already know how to solve the problem
- - - -
If this approach is too far afield let me know. If you have questions about the approach, I'm happy to clarify. Finding nice blocked structures can simplify a lot of results about matrices.

I see, should I only apply my 3x3 method of decomposition to the ##Q_s## matrix?

CMJ96 said:
I see, would I only apply my 3x3 method of decomposition to the ##Q_s## matrix?
right. So if you find, for example: ##Q_s = V_1V_2##
or something like that, then it could be written as

##\begin{bmatrix}
1 & \mathbf 0^* \\
\mathbf 0 & Q_s\\
\end{bmatrix}
=
\begin{bmatrix}
1 & \mathbf 0^* \\
\mathbf 0 & V_1V_2\\
\end{bmatrix}##

and if you carefully follow the blocked multiplication, you'll see
##
\begin{bmatrix}
1 & \mathbf 0^* \\
\mathbf 0 & V_1V_2\\
\end{bmatrix}=
\begin{bmatrix}
1 & \mathbf 0^* \\
\mathbf 0 & V_1\\
\end{bmatrix}
\begin{bmatrix}
1 & \mathbf 0^* \\
\mathbf 0 & V_2\\
\end{bmatrix}##

Ahhh yes, I have applied my method to the 3x3 block in the ##Q## matrix, the ##U_1##, ##U_2## and ##U_3## when multiplied together give ##I_n## which looks good, as it happens ##U_1## and ##U_2## don't change when taking ##U_i^{\dagger}## so this has simplified things a bit.

I probably should have mentioned this earlier, I have to use this decomposition to design and construct a quantum circuit that has to be implemented on IBM's quantum experience composer, will this method work fine with that?
In particular I have to give a realisation of each matrix V as controlled operations

1. What is a 4x4 unitary matrix?

A 4x4 unitary matrix is a square matrix with 4 rows and 4 columns that is also unitary, meaning its conjugate transpose is equal to its inverse. This means that the matrix is composed of complex numbers and its rows and columns are orthonormal, with a magnitude of 1.

2. Why is it important to decompose a 4x4 unitary matrix?

Decomposing a 4x4 unitary matrix allows us to understand the structure of the matrix and its components. This can help with simplifying calculations, solving equations, and finding patterns or relationships within the matrix.

3. What is the process for decomposing a 4x4 unitary matrix?

The process for decomposing a 4x4 unitary matrix involves finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the matrix, which can be done through various methods such as diagonalization or using the spectral theorem. These eigenvectors can then be used to form a diagonal matrix, which is the decomposed form of the original unitary matrix.

4. Can a 4x4 unitary matrix be decomposed into more than one form?

Yes, a 4x4 unitary matrix can be decomposed into multiple forms depending on the method used for decomposition. For example, a unitary matrix can be decomposed into a diagonal matrix, a unitary matrix, and a Hermitian matrix using the Schur decomposition method.

5. What are the applications of decomposing a 4x4 unitary matrix?

Decomposing a 4x4 unitary matrix has various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It can be used for solving differential equations, simulating quantum systems, and analyzing the behavior of linear systems. It is also commonly used in signal processing, cryptography, and data compression algorithms.