Decreasing diameter of a spehere and drag

In summary, the conversation discusses the effect of decreasing the diameter of a sphere on its rate of falling through a liquid. Two formulas are mentioned, one for drag force and another for buoyancy, drag force, and weight, that appear to contradict each other. The speaker's logic suggests that a smaller sphere would fall faster, but their previous experiences in physics have proven otherwise. They also mention an experiment involving a glass cricket ball and a marble sinking through honey.
wkfrst
Hey all,
I have been mulling this around in my head for awhile and cannot make sense logically.
In thinking about a sphere falling through some random liquid, how does decreasing the diameter of the sphere affect the rate at which it falls?

I am thinking of two formulas and the seem to contradict each other in terms of their results.
First would be Stoke's law dealing with drag force:
F(d)= 3(pi)μVd
Here if I reduce the radius, the force of drag decreases which makes me think the sphere would fall faster because it has less resisting its fall.

The next would be a derived equation using the force of buoyancy, drag force, and weight. This assuming these are the only three forces on a falling sphere. It is solved for velocity.
V= [2r^2(ρ(sphere)-ρ(fluid))g]/(9μ)
Here it appears that if the radius is reduced, the velocity is also reduced and it therefore falls slower.
My "logic" tells me a smaller sphere would fall faster, but it has failed me many times in physics.
Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dust (even spherical dust) takes almost forever to settle out, whether in air or water.

Do you think that a glass cricket ball would sink through honey faster or slower than a marble?

If you are near an engineering workshop, you might be able to pick up a huge ball bearing and compare its descent through syrup with that of a smaller one.

1. How does decreasing the diameter of a sphere affect drag?

Decreasing the diameter of a sphere will decrease the drag force acting on the sphere. This is because a smaller diameter means there is less surface area for the fluid to interact with, resulting in lower drag.

2. What factors contribute to the decrease in drag when decreasing the diameter of a sphere?

The decrease in drag when decreasing the diameter of a sphere is primarily due to a decrease in the surface area of the sphere. Other factors that may contribute to a decrease in drag include a decrease in the volume of the sphere and potentially a change in the shape of the flow around the sphere.

3. Is there a limit to how much drag can be reduced by decreasing the diameter of a sphere?

There is no specific limit to how much drag can be reduced by decreasing the diameter of a sphere. However, as the diameter approaches zero, the drag force will also approach zero, since there will be no surface area for the fluid to interact with.

4. How does the speed of the sphere affect the decrease in drag when decreasing its diameter?

The speed of the sphere does not have a direct effect on the decrease in drag when decreasing its diameter. However, at higher speeds, there may be other factors at play such as the formation of a boundary layer, which can also contribute to a decrease in drag.

5. Are there any other ways to decrease drag besides decreasing the diameter of a sphere?

Yes, there are other ways to decrease drag, such as changing the shape of the object to have a more streamlined form, adding a surface coating to reduce friction, or using airfoil designs to create lift and decrease overall drag. Additionally, controlling the properties of the fluid (such as density or viscosity) can also affect the drag force acting on an object.