Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Decreasing Laser power

Tags:
  1. Jun 2, 2017 #1
    Hi, So I am working with measurements using a laser. What I have noticed is that the power of the laser decreases from the time we start the laser until maybe an hour later.

Today I noticed it has decreased 10%, from yesterday, which I think sounds like a lot.
    Does the laser have to warm up and become stable Before operation? The laser is a laser diode.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2017 #2

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How is the temperature of the diode controlled? I.e,. are you using a "proper" driver or are you just driving it with a normal current source?
    Laser diodes are sensitive to temperature which is why "proper" drive electronics includes a temperature controller.

4. Jun 2, 2017 #3
    Ok I see, that makes sense. I forgot about the temperature sensitivity. As far as I can see it only have a power source and pulse generator. No, there is no 'proper' driver. How would a temperature controller look like? What would it consist of?

5. Jun 2, 2017 #4

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Commerical versions look like this

https://www.thorlabs.com/navigation.cfm?guide_id=2107

However, these will only work if your diode is an a mount which can be used with a temperature controller.

(btw, I am not an expert in this area; but I do use laser diodes from time to time)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted