Decrease in Laser Power: Why Is It Happening?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the use of a laser and the observation that its power decreases over time. The participants discuss the importance of controlling the temperature of the laser diode and the use of a proper driver or temperature controller to maintain stability. The conversation also mentions the availability of commercial temperature controllers for laser diodes.
nordmoon
Hi, So I am working with measurements using a laser. What I have noticed is that the power of the laser decreases from the time we start the laser until maybe an hour later.

Today I noticed it has decreased 10%, from yesterday, which I think sounds like a lot.
Does the laser have to warm up and become stable Before operation? The laser is a laser diode.

Science news on Phys.org
How is the temperature of the diode controlled? I.e,. are you using a "proper" driver or are you just driving it with a normal current source?
Laser diodes are sensitive to temperature which is why "proper" drive electronics includes a temperature controller.

Likes davenn
f95toli said:
How is the temperature of the diode controlled? I.e,. are you using a "proper" driver or are you just driving it with a normal current source?
Laser diodes are sensitive to temperature which is why "proper" drive electronics includes a temperature controller.

Ok I see, that makes sense. I forgot about the temperature sensitivity. As far as I can see it only have a power source and pulse generator. No, there is no 'proper' driver. How would a temperature controller look like? What would it consist of?

Commerical versions look like this

https://www.thorlabs.com/navigation.cfm?guide_id=2107

However, these will only work if your diode is an a mount which can be used with a temperature controller.

(btw, I am not an expert in this area; but I do use laser diodes from time to time)

1. What causes a decrease in laser power?

There are several potential factors that could contribute to a decrease in laser power. These include aging of the laser components, contamination or damage to the laser optics, overheating of the laser, and changes in the power supply or electrical connections.

2. How can I determine the cause of the decrease in laser power?

The best way to determine the cause of a decrease in laser power is to systematically troubleshoot each potential factor. This could involve checking for any visible damage or contamination, monitoring the temperature of the laser, and testing the power supply and connections.

3. Is it possible to fix a decrease in laser power?

In many cases, it is possible to fix a decrease in laser power. Depending on the cause, it may require replacing damaged components, cleaning or repairing the optics, or adjusting the power supply or connections. However, if the laser is significantly aged or damaged, it may not be possible to fully restore its original power.

4. Can a decrease in laser power be prevented?

While some factors that contribute to a decrease in laser power may be difficult to prevent, there are some steps that can be taken to prolong the lifespan and maintain the power of a laser. These include regular cleaning and maintenance of the laser, monitoring and controlling the temperature, and ensuring proper power supply and connections.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when troubleshooting a decrease in laser power?

Yes, it is important to follow all safety protocols when working with lasers. This may include wearing appropriate protective gear, avoiding direct exposure to the laser beam, and ensuring the laser is turned off and unplugged before making any adjustments or repairs.