1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Decreasing Laser power

Tags:
  1. Jun 2, 2017 #1
    Hi, So I am working with measurements using a laser. What I have noticed is that the power of the laser decreases from the time we start the laser until maybe an hour later.

Today I noticed it has decreased 10%, from yesterday, which I think sounds like a lot.
    Does the laser have to warm up and become stable Before operation? The laser is a laser diode.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2017 #2

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How is the temperature of the diode controlled? I.e,. are you using a "proper" driver or are you just driving it with a normal current source?
    Laser diodes are sensitive to temperature which is why "proper" drive electronics includes a temperature controller.

4. Jun 2, 2017 #3
    Ok I see, that makes sense. I forgot about the temperature sensitivity. As far as I can see it only have a power source and pulse generator. No, there is no 'proper' driver. How would a temperature controller look like? What would it consist of?

5. Jun 2, 2017 #4

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Commerical versions look like this

https://www.thorlabs.com/navigation.cfm?guide_id=2107

However, these will only work if your diode is an a mount which can be used with a temperature controller.

(btw, I am not an expert in this area; but I do use laser diodes from time to time)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted