1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deducing the volume of an elliptical cone

1. Jan 25, 2012 #1
    Here again

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the volume of a right elliptical cone with an elliptic base with semi-axes a and b and heigh h

2. Relevant equations

So: [itex]\frac{x^2}{a^2}+\frac{y^2}{b^2}=1[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

image.jpg

image.jpg

That's what I have, but answer should be:

[itex]V=\frac{1}{3}abh\pi[/itex]

I've checked it all over again like 10 times, but I can't find the mistake. If you can see it I'd be grateful

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

To tell you the truth, I can 't bring myself to slog through all your steps. But I have a question for you. Have you had change of variables in double integrals yet? For example, do you know how to show the area of the ellipse $$\frac {x^2}{a^2}+\frac{y^2}{b^2}=1$$ is ##\pi a b## by mapping the ellipse to a circle? The reason for my asking is that if you have studied that, a much easier way to do the problem is to use the elliptical cross-sections. You can figure out the equation of the ellipse cross section at height ##z## for ##0\le z \le h## and either use the above formula or develop it with the appropriate change of variables.

4. Jan 25, 2012 #3
    I know how to make an implicit differentation but, I can't do that to an intregal expression.

5. Jan 25, 2012 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What I asked you has nothing to do with implicit differentiation. Just tell me this: Are you allowed to use the area formula ##\pi ab## for your standard xy ellipse area as a given? If the answer to that is yes, then figure out the equation of the elliptical cross section of your cone at height ##z## for ##0\le z \le h## and use that formula for its area. Then you can integrate the elliptical cross section area as a function of z to get the volume.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook