Deducing the volume of an elliptical cone

In summary: What I asked you has nothing to do with implicit differentiation. Just tell me this: Are you allowed to use the area formula ##\pi ab## for your standard xy ellipse area as a given? If the answer to that is yes, then figure out the equation of the elliptical cross section of your cone at height ##z## for ##0\le z \le h## and use that formula for its area. Then you can integrate the elliptical cross section area as a function of z to get the volume.
yaakob7
Here again

Homework Statement

Find the volume of a right elliptical cone with an elliptic base with semi-axes a and b and heigh h

Homework Equations

So: [itex]\frac{x^2}{a^2}+\frac{y^2}{b^2}=1[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

image.jpg

image.jpg

That's what I have, but answer should be:

[itex]V=\frac{1}{3}abh\pi[/itex]

I've checked it all over again like 10 times, but I can't find the mistake. If you can see it I'd be grateful

Physics news on Phys.org
To tell you the truth, I can 't bring myself to slog through all your steps. But I have a question for you. Have you had change of variables in double integrals yet? For example, do you know how to show the area of the ellipse $$\frac {x^2}{a^2}+\frac{y^2}{b^2}=1$$ is ##\pi a b## by mapping the ellipse to a circle? The reason for my asking is that if you have studied that, a much easier way to do the problem is to use the elliptical cross-sections. You can figure out the equation of the ellipse cross section at height ##z## for ##0\le z \le h## and either use the above formula or develop it with the appropriate change of variables.

LCKurtz said:
To tell you the truth, I can 't bring myself to slog through all your steps. But I have a question for you. Have you had change of variables in double integrals yet? For example, do you know how to show the area of the ellipse $$\frac {x^2}{a^2}+\frac{y^2}{b^2}=1$$ is ##\pi a b## by mapping the ellipse to a circle? The reason for my asking is that if you have studied that, a much easier way to do the problem is to use the elliptical cross-sections. You can figure out the equation of the ellipse cross section at height ##z## for ##0\le z \le h## and either use the above formula or develop it with the appropriate change of variables.

I know how to make an implicit differentation but, I can't do that to an intregal expression.

LCKurtz said:

yaakob7 said:
I know how to make an implicit differentation but, I can't do that to an intregal expression.

What I asked you has nothing to do with implicit differentiation. Just tell me this: Are you allowed to use the area formula ##\pi ab## for your standard xy ellipse area as a given? If the answer to that is yes, then figure out the equation of the elliptical cross section of your cone at height ##z## for ##0\le z \le h## and use that formula for its area. Then you can integrate the elliptical cross section area as a function of z to get the volume.

What is an elliptical cone?

An elliptical cone is a three-dimensional shape that resembles a cone, but with an elliptical base instead of a circular one. It is formed by rotating an ellipse around one of its axes.

How do you calculate the volume of an elliptical cone?

The formula for calculating the volume of an elliptical cone is 1/3 x π x (radius of base 1) x (radius of base 2) x (height). The radius of base 1 and base 2 refer to the semi-major and semi-minor axes of the ellipse, and the height is the distance between the two foci of the ellipse.

What is the difference between an elliptical cone and a circular cone?

The main difference between an elliptical cone and a circular cone is the shape of their bases. A circular cone has a circular base, whereas an elliptical cone has an elliptical base. This also affects the formula for calculating their volumes.

What are some real-life examples of elliptical cones?

Some common examples of elliptical cones include traffic cones, ice cream cones, and party hats. They can also be found in architecture, such as the dome of St. Peter's Basilica in Vatican City.

Are there any applications for calculating the volume of an elliptical cone?

Yes, there are many practical applications for knowing the volume of an elliptical cone. For example, it can be used in engineering for designing structures, in manufacturing for creating molds, and in cooking for creating recipes that involve conical shapes.